Beak issue?

Sarahh_Janeyy

Songster
Dec 12, 2019
North Florida
Please see attached photos - is this an issue? She holds her mouth open most of the time but I have an her close it. Her beak seems a little different than the other 5.
20210727_135442.jpg
20210727_135233.jpg

Please see attached photos - is this an issue? She holds her mouth open most of the time but I have an her close it. Her beak seems a little different than the other 5.View attachment 2775489View attachment 2775490
From the looks of it, her beak will start to grow like the black hen in this thread. It's not as bad as it might seem, there are several cases of cross beak like these ones. The cross-beakers have it tough but you can help them out by giving them things they can bite better like chicken pellets and water mixed together to make a mash, that will help her out. You can also trim her beak to help her out a little bit.
Otherwise you have a very beautiful pullet :rolleyes:! What is her name?

From the looks of it, her beak will start to grow like the black hen in this thread. It's not as bad as it might seem, there are several cases of cross beak like these ones. The cross-beakers have it tough but you can help them out by giving them things they can bite better like chicken pellets and water mixed together to make a mash, that will help her out. You can also trim her beak to help her out a little bit.
Otherwise you have a very beautiful pullet :rolleyes:! What is her name?
Yeah I've been looking up beak deformity and it looks like an underbite? But I don't see a lot of information about it.. Her name is Pita. I'm wondering if I should try to file her beak? I was thinking since they aren't outside (fulltime) yet she hasn't been able to file it on concrete bricks like my bigger girls can, but her beak looks different from the other babies. It doesn't look crossed, though. She is a little smaller than the other bantam I have, so I was wondering if she's eating enough.

Yeah I've been looking up beak deformity and it looks like an underbite? But I don't see a lot of information about it.. Her name is Pita. I'm wondering if I should try to file her beak? I was thinking since they aren't outside (fulltime) yet she hasn't been able to file it on concrete bricks like my bigger girls can, but her beak looks different from the other babies. It doesn't look crossed, though. She is a little smaller than the other bantam I have, so I was wondering if she's eating enough.
Yeah, it's an underbite not a crossbite. You could try to file her beak, just be careful. Their beaks are just like fingernails, the white part is the overgrown part. Cross/underbite beaks are special cases when they are hatched like that. She should be eating enough, but with her beak it will be harder. Alot of cross/underbites beaks I know of the owners feed them mash.
I love the name Pita! 💕

It does look like it has the potential of crossing over on one side, but you won't know for sure until she's older.

Filing down the tip for better alignment might help, if she's big enough for you to easily get a secure hold around.

Well, I'm crossing fingers for no cross beak... I did some filing of it yesterday, I'll try to get new pics today. She's still holding her mouth open though. :(
It'll probably never close properly, but you just want to aim for as good as possible, so she has maximum usage of the beak for eating and grooming, and to minimize any chipping/cracking damage that can occur.

Look what I noticed while trying to examine her beak.. She's missing an entire toenail! What the heck??

Attachments

• 20210729_122148.jpg
    20210729_122148.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom