beak problems

Stiggy

Songster
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
New Zealand
It recently occurred to me that I seem to be having many chicken related problems this year, but these things happen.

I was just wondering if there was a cause for cross beaks? Like maybe a mineral deficiency or something? And the same for undershot beaks ( both birds are healthy otherwise)
And typically both affected are girls.

I know there is nothing I can do for the cross beak except make food access and eating easier but I've been keeping the undershot chicks beak trimmed back to prevent it growing to fast and curling under .

Background history:
Both chicks were incubator hatched and the cross beaked was broody raised, the undershot beak was brooder raised. They both have the same father, a faverolles cross but different mothers . they are getting the best crumble ( medicated) and daily selenium,vitamins b ( multi b bit, with a good dose of riboflavin) bit e,d,c crushed into some dog roll which is heartily eaten

Any suggestions/comments/ insights of stories would be appreciated

Thanks, the first link was very helpful indeed. I will not be using the father again, he is going into retirement. Hopefully I wont have any more with this problem ( his last eggs are due to hatch on the 21st) and after that they are all silkies.

Back
Top Bottom