Beak splitting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crooked stripe, Jun 27, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have 2 buff orp hens that have split beaks. They are split in the middle about 1/2" toward the head. What would cause this? They are free ranging and eating layer pellets. They seem to be healthy and happy so I am thinking it might be a vitamin problem. Does anyone have a solution or is this normal? John

2. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I don't know the answer, but I thought I'd bump this up. I curious what would cause this, too.

3. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I was hoping someone could help me out here. I can't find any answers in my chicken books. John

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Dependent on how far the split has reached (the beak has a "quick" in it which must not be breached) the first thing you must do is to tim it back... this can be done (carefully) with nail clippers and file off the rough edges after. It may need to be done a bit at a time.
    These articles may be helpful:
    http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2003&PID=6618&O=Generic
    "Injured beaks, fractures: Acrylic beak repair or wire reinforcement can be performed, however there has been different success with use of these products in beak fractures beyond the germinal layer. In this cases, several applications of the acrylic can support and splint the injury for the time period required by the bird to adjust its eating habits. ..."

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-grooming/pros-and-cons-feather-trim.aspx
    BEAKS-To Trim Or Not To Trim (and how)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by