Beak Trimming

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moodlymoo, Sep 2, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    What is it and why would you do it?

2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Egg farms do it to keep the hens that are in too crowded conditions from pecking and injuring one another. My advice, give the girls the room they need and leave their beaks alone.

3. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Well there is trimming, like you'd do for fingernails if certain parts are not wearing down normally, and then there is de-beaking, which they do to chicks, where a large portion of the beak is cut to keep chickens from injuring each other when kept in close confined areas like commercial egg farms.

Which are you referring to?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    If you dont have a free-ranging chicken, thier beaks can often grow too long. a chickens beak is like a finger or toenail. It slowly grows and can painlessley be cut if you dont cut it too short. If you are thinking about doing this to your bird, let me know and i will tell you all about it!! [​IMG]

ChickenPeep

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    pretty darn radical if you ask me. Is it humane to do that? Injure the bird in any way other than to short?

6. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:I would never choose to de-beak, its certainly not a practice needed for a backyard flock. A trim on the other hand, I've had to do for my show birds, that are not free ranging. Its a simple, painless snip with some fingernail clippers, only shaving off a couple millimeters.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:I would never choose to de-beak, its certainly not a practice needed for a backyard flock. A trim on the other hand, I've had to do for my show birds, that are not free ranging. Its a simple, painless snip with some fingernail clippers, only shaving off a couple millimeters.

Gotcha

8. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:I have a bird that's upper beak is very curved and its starting to cause the bird problems. What tool do you use to trim the beak?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by