Beak Trimming

Egg farms do it to keep the hens that are in too crowded conditions from pecking and injuring one another. My advice, give the girls the room they need and leave their beaks alone.

Well there is trimming, like you'd do for fingernails if certain parts are not wearing down normally, and then there is de-beaking, which they do to chicks, where a large portion of the beak is cut to keep chickens from injuring each other when kept in close confined areas like commercial egg farms.

Which are you referring to?

Last edited:
If you dont have a free-ranging chicken, thier beaks can often grow too long. a chickens beak is like a finger or toenail. It slowly grows and can painlessley be cut if you dont cut it too short. If you are thinking about doing this to your bird, let me know and i will tell you all about it!!
smile.png

ChickenPeep

Quote:
I would never choose to de-beak, its certainly not a practice needed for a backyard flock. A trim on the other hand, I've had to do for my show birds, that are not free ranging. Its a simple, painless snip with some fingernail clippers, only shaving off a couple millimeters.

Quote:
I would never choose to de-beak, its certainly not a practice needed for a backyard flock. A trim on the other hand, I've had to do for my show birds, that are not free ranging. Its a simple, painless snip with some fingernail clippers, only shaving off a couple millimeters.

Gotcha

Back
Top Bottom