bean geese question ?

GoatMilker20

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
hello !

My wife has been looking threw a bird book and realy likes the bean geese. i was thinking of gettin her some for her bday but will they just eat beans ? i grow plenty of green beans during the sumer but what will they eat during the winter. this could sound dum but will they do ok on the caned ones?

boggybottombantams do you know where i could get my wife some bean geese.

thanks Chris

Hello Chris. Obviously you are a novice and I will try to help you. This is my first post on this forum but in no way am I new to birds! Bean geese are a pretty common goose in aviculture but there name is a little misleading. I would say offer them green beans as a treat, ducks and geese LOVE treats!
yippiechickie.gif
But they should get a good solid manufactured diet like laying pellets and cracked corn, maybe some hen scratch. They are not a difficult species to breed and yes pinioned is the way to go. I personally would not pay any more than $300 for a pair though. Just let me know and I will try and help you find some. Good luck sir!
thumbsup.gif

Hi Chris,
Like Blowhard said, a goose is a goose when it comes to feeding them, sometimes they just have odd names, kinda like a Blood Pheasant, haha Blood has nothing to do with them, just a crazy name someone gave them. A normal bagged food diet will be best. Yes they'll eat beans or anything green for that matter, but like they said, dont base your sole diet for them around that.
The common part, I dont know so much about, personally I have never seen anyone with true bean geese for sell anywhere. Now Greylag, pink foot, and white front are all very similar and much more common at least from what I have seen in collections. Also from what Kansas said, there are some domestics that look very similar as well, and most likely much cheaper. Will do some digging in my list of folks and see what I can come up with for you though.

Last edited:
ok Thanks blowhard boggy bottom bantams and kanaskid ! I learn so much on this sight ! I have my fingers and toes crossed you pros can help find the bean geese fo r me .

so if I understand right the bean goose doesant eat beans ? i also like the kelp goose, so it doesant eat kelp it is just a name ? confusing lol

also blowhard how do you get the dancin chicken on your message ! That is awesome !

thanks Chris

That's right Chirs, those are just names, none of them really have anything to do with what they eat in captivity or how to raise them. Some names have to do with general location of the bird in the wild. One like that, that I loved and used to have is the Orinoco Goose, very beautiful birds to me.
There are several subspecies of the bean goose too. I looked around quite a bit this morning before work for you. Only found 1 single site in the UK with any TRUE bean geese listed though, gonna be a tough find I would think here in the states.
Will keep digging for you though. If anyone has they of course Sylvan Heights would, they pretty much have literally every species of waterfowl in the world

thank you for the infro boggybottombantams. I sure hope you can find some one in the us that will sell me some !

I looked at pics of the oronico goose ! god dog that is a pretty goose ! Do u have them ? they look like a extra fancy eygyptian goose 2 me

We want to make a visit to slyvan hieghts duck farm this fall to see some of there neat birds. there web site is so cool. maybe i should just get my wife a fancy camera to take pics of bean fgeese insted of gettin the actual birds ! ha ha

you guys are the best !

thanks Chris

does any one know if i can get spell check on my words on backyardchickens ?

thanks Chris

i forgot to ask you boggybotoms what you do for work ? I deliver ice cream ! yum !

thanks Chris

Back
Top Bottom