Bean's Random Ramblings!

The flash gives an instant bright light into your scene, freezing motion, vs no flash and the sensor needing more time (longer shutter speed) to capture enough light for an image. This is why they get used in lower lighting situations where otherwise long shutter speeds would make the image blurry. The flash allows the sensor to more effectively expose an element of the image at once, so you have a nicely lit subject for a longer exposure image where the rest of it may have movement or other lighting artifacts.

Reflection is definitely an issue with on camera flashes (like on a cell phone), as is washing out an image with too much flash bounce. Usually you have to solce that with 3rd party hardware (a la a paper diffuser or some such), or on off camera flash ( obviously not an option on a cell unless you have bluetooth flash pots)

There are a lot of "but" discussions arond flash, shutter speed, how to balance them in what scenarios, and the like. different scenarios call for different uses and there are probably a many theories out there about it as there are grains of sand in the Sahara. Best thing I can say is "experiment, find what works for you, and write it down so you remember next time"
That makes a whole ton of sense, thanks. I have a canon Rebel Xsi, but I don't have an attachable flash. It comes with one, but the flash it has is trashy.

Awkward Cricket GIF

Back
Top Bottom