Bear Attack 😞

Update....Thank your for everyone’s thoughts. I’m starting to rebuild and fortify today! An electric fence will be added!!!! I let my two daughters(6&8) make the choice to get more chicks and try again. So, this morning we all drove to our local Tractor Supply and picked up 6 Golden Comets, and 2 Cuckoo Marans.

It’s a sad day today......We bought our chicks on March 26, 2020. 5 Bovans Brown, and 2 Barred Rocks. One Barred Rock turned out to be a Rooster. Which was okay! My 5 year old named him Mike and he was a king! I came outside this morning and walked up to a large mother Black Bear inside my run. She had ripped off part of the roof, before she figured out all she had to do was push the screen hard enough. My chickens were locked inside the coop where I put them every night. But this bear ripped open the wood and got inside. I scared her away by yelling, and she ran off with two cubs in pursuit. I opened the door and found Bella, Princess, Sunshine, and Mike all dead. In the woods around the coop I found Sofia, Grace, and Leigha all dead. I imagine Mike fought hard to the end as he was laying on top of three of the girls! He was a good boy! Back to the drawing board I suppose. I welcome any suggestions the community has.....I guess I’ll look into an electric fence.
My heart aches for you.

Back
Top Bottom