Bear attack?

If you have a TSC, they have everything you need. My guess would be around a couple hundred which would be the charger strong enough to let any predator such as a bear know the hot wire is there. Once they get zapped they don't usually test it again and most predators first explore with their nose. On a bear the nose and tongue getting zapped should be enough to send it packing. Their fur is quite thick so the wire touching the fur isn't as effective as the nose and tongue. The reason for baiting the wire is to get the bear to touch it with either its nose, tongue or lips which are the most sensitive parts.

Good friend of mine has 9 hives. 3 in each hotwire enclosure. Never baited a single one of them. Maybe the difference was he had a hot wire to start. Didn't let them get a taste of honey before he put up the hot wire.

I've got a hot wire around my dumpster. Bear keeps taking several bags every other week. Once I added the hot wire, not a bad missing. Definitely didn't bait the hotwire. Luckily, I haven't had any issues with it trying to get into the coop. I think the dogs are helping there as the coop is much closer to the house then the dumpster.

lol for the electric fence around your dumpster.. Brought back a memory after we built our homestead and moved in. I remember walking out to the dumpster to realize the dogs (7 GSDs) had pooped a complete circle around the dumpster. Little freaky not understanding at first and I did admire how nice of a perfect circle they were able to make. lol.. Yeah after watching them poop and pee on the ground hog colony forcing them to slowly move further and further away to the next property I realize what the poop circle was for around the dumpster.. lol seemed to work... :)

Back
Top Bottom