Bear Attack

44Wolves

Here is Your New Title
13 Years
Jun 28, 2009
So, today, I walk outside and the the fencing on the run of our coop was torn down. I look inside, and see only 1 of our 2 chickens, some random thing hanging down from where she was on the roost, dripping blood. It's coming from her bottom, below the area BELOW her butt.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Does not matter. But EE.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She is basically just sitting down all the time.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Today
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? ...last one left....
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Yes. she has some sort of injury on the area below the area below her butt.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Bear attack.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Very little.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. No poop so far.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Ourselves.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I cannot get a picture.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Towels and newspaper.

Anyways, I'm basically just asking if there is anything we can do to help her and keep her strong, or if needed..... put her down.

sounds bad, how big is the wound in inches? I'm sorry to say but it sounds like you might have to put her down, unless she dies first. You're sure she hasn't pooped?

I have not seen the cut to well. She really won't stand yet and I can't hold her without her struggling, and she's in pain.

UPDATE** I got her to stand long enough to see the cut. It is about an inch in diameter, maybe less. It is where she previously had something similar to eggbound, or something. I really don't know. Anyways, that is where the cut is and there is... something... hanging out of it. Also, she has pooped after I touched the hanging-out thing. The poop was completely watery, is it possible this was some sort of egg?

Could be an undeveloped egg, you need to get that patched up, or take her to he vet or something, I'm not an expert but that's what it seems like.

Do you still have chickens? I live on the edge a large wooded area and we have once set of bear tracks in the yard so far this season. I also have six pullets in my garage waiting to go in their coop. I'm worried about bear since I live on the edge of their territory in Northern New Jersey, Northern Morris County.

Back
Top Bottom