Bear attack!

barredgirlsmum

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 3, 2014
Friday, I went to feed the birds, two parts of the fence were ripped, I found a bear poop. I used to have 16 chickens, 2 ducks and 5 geese, now I have 11 chickens and the other birds that didn't get attacked. Saturday was fine. Sunday, I had the other birds, but only six chickens. Then, Sunday night, the chickens and ducks, who were transported to the OTHER electric fence, got out of the other electric fence. One chicken got killed. The geese are at my cousins and safety. They can't come back until my father fixes the bigger electric fence. Another of my chickens died from some kind of leg problem. So now I have 4 chickens, 2 ducks and 5 geese who can't come home

Sorry for your losses, Many don't have to deal with our friend Ursus. I don't have to now but did have issues in my younger days. What state are you? and and will you Department of Wildlife do anything for you?

USA. Probably won't
Since USA is made of 50 states that does not help much.

It Depends on the state, New Mexico will or did, relocate marauding bears in past experiences. Check you local regs you should be able to protect your livestock also by shooting him.

Last edited:
Bear is greasy but tasty none the less. You'll need a .30-06 or bigger rifle to put it down. Preferably a .300 Win Mag or a .338 Win Mag should drop it dead. A .45-70 will sent it home quick as well. Kill the bear! Bears are the worst at revisiting a favorite food source. Now the chickens are gone, they will root around your property, trash and whatever else looking for food. This has moved from a bird safety to personal safety. Only good bear around people is a dead bear. If someone else thinks different, volunteer to wait outside tonight to have a chat with said bear!

Bear is greasy but tasty none the less.  You'll need a .30-06 or bigger rifle to put it down.  Preferably a .300 Win Mag or a .338 Win Mag should drop it dead.  A .45-70 will sent it home quick as well.  Kill the bear!  Bears are the worst at revisiting a favorite food source.  Now the chickens are gone, they will root around your property, trash and whatever else looking for food.  This has moved from a bird safety to personal safety.  Only good bear around people is a dead bear.  If someone else thinks different, volunteer to wait outside tonight to have a chat with said bear!

I agree eat the bear. Its a delicacy.

Back
Top Bottom