Bear Attacked my coop - chickens comb is half ripped off! Please help!

Well, so far I've bathed everyone and cleaned them up. The Barred Rock, Teriyake, with the broken beak seems to be ok. I did make up some mash and gave that to her, which she ate. She also ate some fruit i cut up really small for her. She's been out scratching and pecking, and with some additional effort she does seem to be able to eat. Hopefully this will be the end of her ordeal.
fl.gif

I also washed up Lucy and superglued her comb back on. So far it's staying put.
fl.gif
I gave her some nice strawberries, blueberries, and little scratch (along with food and water) and put her in a dog crate in my basement to keep an eye on her.

If my husband didn't think I was nuts with these chickens before, he's convinced of it now!
tongue.png

Well, so far I've bathed everyone and cleaned them up. The Barred Rock, Teriyake, with the broken beak seems to be ok. I did make up some mash and gave that to her, which she ate. She also ate some fruit i cut up really small for her. She's been out scratching and pecking, and with some additional effort she does seem to be able to eat. Hopefully this will be the end of her ordeal.
fl.gif

I also washed up Lucy and superglued her comb back on. So far it's staying put.
fl.gif
I gave her some nice strawberries, blueberries, and little scratch (along with food and water) and put her in a dog crate in my basement to keep an eye on her.

If my husband didn't think I was nuts with these chickens before, he's convinced of it now!
tongue.png
I don't think you will have a problem with the comb, where you able to do that yourself? Glad your taking good care of them they are lucky to have a good mom!

The broken beak will resolve itself. Like a dog's nail clipped to the quick, it will be tender for a bit, but it will grow and harden out. Give her wet mash if you can, and plenty of water.

The comb is a 50% shot of saving, superglue is a good idea, but as it is a large comb it may also need to be supported or wrapped and I can't think of a way to do it. Fastest way to heal would probably be dubbing, it would require cauterizing, so that would be a last resort.

Birds have amazing healing powers.

I tried superglue, but the comb has come loose again. I'm not sure that's going to be the answer. If I were to dub, how would you recommend cauterizing?

I can't give that advice as I've never done it.

A second round of superglue along with tape to hold the comb from flapping may work. She may end up with a flattened comb, but that's a small price to pay for a meet-and-greet with a bear.

Thanks KelsT, - unfortunately, the superglue didn't hold. I will probably try again. I've wrapped her in a towel to restrain her, then my husband helps while we hold her down and apply the glue. What an experience!

How is the coop? How is it constructed? Lights may work initially, the bear will probably come back. I'd prepare for a bear encounter with yourself.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom