BEAR got my coop

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Ugh, came home from a bike ride yesterday and had a momma bear and 3 cubs in my yard at 7pm. Toar my quail coop apart and killed 10 quail. I just separated the males to give the girls a break and now the bear hits me. Broad daylight too.

Attachments

• 20170531_194601.jpg
    20170531_194601.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 38
I'm so sorry to hear this :( such a terrible thing to find.

We had a bear get close to our turkey coop last year but he only destroyed the bird feeder and park bench that was a few feet away. We spent a lot of time being terrified of him returning to break in to the coops.

Ugh, came home from a bike ride yesterday and had a momma bear and 3 cubs in my yard at 7pm. Toar my quail coop apart and killed 10 quail. I just separated the males to give the girls a break and now the bear hits me. Broad daylight too.
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I was recently talking with someone who lives in Colorado, who said "if a bear wants to get in a coop, there's really no way to stop it". My heart breaks for you.

Thank you, ill have to do some reinforcement on it this weekend.

Wow, that stinks. I know you don't want to kill a mama bear and her babies but could you fire off a round or two to make them think it isn't a good place for a buffet any time they want it? Not sure where you are located so that may or may not be feasible.

I too like your setup, especially the clear door. That gave me some ideas as I have a hutch I built with only the front door being mesh, then put a 10 x 10 covered dog kennel around it and I'm thinking it is going to be too dark inside. Great idea to put plexiglass on the sides so it is still a wind block but they can get more daylight inside.

Gosh that's terrible. I'm sorry.

The only way to keep bears out is with electrical fencing. I saw some at my local feed store last time I was there so maybe check with yours.

Gosh I'm glad I don't have to worry about bears :S I imagine you'd need to build an 8 foot wall around anything you want to keep it out of. Or get a pretty serious electric fence. So sorry this happened to you.
Worst thing we have is probably foxes, rats and mustelids. We haven't had wolves for 200 years but apparently they found their way back a few years ago - though still in very insignificant numbers, they've bothered a few sheep farmers but most of us only know they are here because the media says so.. Before that, the badger was our largest predator and they are so shy I've never even seen one alive. Bears are on a completely different level. If you find one in your yard you call the zoo and tell them to come get their escapee.

Bears! Oh my!
I suggest you pack up and move across town immediately!

So sorry for your loss.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom