Bear my HERO chicken does it again!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by walkswithdog, Apr 14, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Bear got her name by trying to fight off a hawk that had killed and was eating another chicken in the flock (whom she disliked), despite horrific injuries she'd continued to fight him. Ripped from both ears and under the beak to her keel.

I paid to have her stitched up for her bravery and I've kept her despite not really wanting to keep a BA here. Once again the tough little sucker earns her place. I heard a yell, and I can tell when something's wrong as opposed to normal noises.

I ran out to find her about 15 feet in front of an approaching fox, yelling for all she was worth. It looked at me approaching a couple of times and ran off. GO BEAR. Lord I love that chicken.

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to get the critter. Grr.

Not all chickens are chicken.

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    That is awesome, what a good boy!! [​IMG] I hope he got some extra treats for that one!! [​IMG]

3. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    [​IMG]

Good job Bear! [​IMG]

4. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    Thats sooo great [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Tough woman! Seems that Bear is an appropriate name for her!

6. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    she sounds like one tough little lady!

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    For a HEN she certainly has a huge pair of ........

Can't believe the Tom Jake hiding behind her... sigh.

8. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:I have one like that! My Ameraucana hen Radclyffe was originally found by my landlord's roommate while he was biking in Sabino Canyon. She was lust lying there, dehydrated, so he apparently thought "My roomie has chickens, I'll stick this one in the coop!"
    My landlord said it took several days before they found out where this random hen came from because no one saw the note his roommate left.
    Several weeks after my (now) fiancee and I moved in, I woke up at 7am to hear this terrible screaming. I threw on a robe and ran out the door in time to see our neighbour's Alsation dog take off over the fence with the same Ameraucana hen! I go running down the street screaming at the dog, who drops the hen and takes off. I scoop her up--the hen's in shock, gasping, and part of her comb is ripped off-- take her back to the house where she later makes a full recovery.
    A week after this she starts laying eggs (never laid an egg as far as we know before the dog attack).
    A few months later, I notice this huge black Tom cat hanging around. One evening I hear a ruckus so I head out to the yard and there's Radclyffe, stretched to her full height, yelling at the approaching tom cat while the other hens crowd a few feet behind her.

Her survival instinct and overall "Bad-Assery" have earned her the title of Punk Rock Chicken.

9. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    Quote:[​IMG] O yes she does

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by