Bearded and Non-bearded Silkies/Coloring

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by E.M. Silkies, Sep 4, 2010.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    If I cross a bearded and non bearded Silkie, what will I get? Is it showable? Is that considered two altogether different breeds? Or will I get some of both?

Also was wondering about coloring. How do you get blues, splashes, partridge, etc.?

2. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    You will get partially bearded birds. Not separate breeds, but varieties within a breed. Not a great idea to cross them unless you want a bunch of pet quality birds with very sparse beards and big wattles (usually).

White is a color that acts as an off-switch. Breed white to white generally. If you cross a white to a colored bird results will usually be unpredictable.
    Buff and Partridge are colors that you generally want to keep by themselves.
    black x black = black
    black x blue = 1/2 blue, 1/2 black
    black x splash = blue
    blue x splash = 1/2 blue, 1/2 splash
    blue x blue = 1/4 black, 1/4 splash, 1/2 blue
    splash x splash = splash

* This is just a very basic rundown! Even with just your basic black, there are many genes that interact to come up with the correct color. Green vs. purple sheen, miscolor in the hackles, etc. On your blues there is the andalusian blue and its dilute form splash. There is also self blue (lavendar). Birds can have both forms of the blue present to really complicate things. Other colors can also carry self-blue too. Partridge is a fun color to work with but you need separate male and female lines to really perfect that color. Buff is a balancing act. When you start mixing colors, you get some very interesting results sometimes and usually that equates to pet quality culls.

3. E.M. Silkies

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks so much, that's exactly what I needed.

When you show a non-bearded Silkie, are there allowed bigger wattles?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have both bearded and non bearded silkies housed together, however all the chicks end up with nice beards and those that purchase from me have shown them. Other than being two varieties of the Silkie, what else should I be aware of. I find the two varieties equally beautiful.

5. destiny_56085

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    I believe Sonoran can give you a more accurate genetics explanation. The genes for bearded/non-bearded are codominant. That means if you mix them you will get somewhere in between the 2 parents.

I have no interest in raising non-bearded so can't tell you if the size of the wattles makes a difference.

6. E.M. Silkies

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    I am planning to raise bearded silkies but I have a non-bearded pullet that I was going to keep if it didn't make a difference. But it sounds like if the goal is to have bearded, breed only bearded.

7. E.M. Silkies

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    How is the Splash created in the first place?

8. destiny_56085

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Splash is a dilution of andalusion blue. You need blues or splashes to get more splashes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by