Bearded Cochin Breeding Idea?

I'm aware : ) there's some people in my county who breed non crested showgirls though so those would be a little closer to what I'm going for, sorry for the confusion.

Oh, that makes sense. I thought you were saying that someone had "silkies" with no crests.

Using a silkie would give a few extra genes that are just not really necessary (even if hidden/recessive), like the toes, skin, earlobes, etc.

Extra toes should be caused by a single dominant gene. So you'll see them in the first generation cross, but should get some birds without them in the next generation.

I think the earlobes are "white" earlobes over dark skin. Probably several genes involved in each of those traits.

Sounds like your idea of a "cochin with a beard" is more picky about some traits than others--you don't care about egg color or comb type, but don't want a crest or extra toes.

Since you've said faverolles are close to what you want (except for size), then I agree they're probably your best choice.

I just feel like extra genes in there floating around could be an extra bother, there's some Really Tiny bantam Cochins that a breeder near me has (non showable they're so small!) That I could probably use when breeding to the favorelles to get a head start on a smaller size, but again that's in the future :D

And yep, I don't care if it lays a blue egg, I've seen EE/Cochin crosses and I personally feel they'd take a longer time, but a crest and dark skin is a little farther from the look of a regular Cochin for me. I also think favorelles could be cool because of their Salmon color (no whites around me unfortunately!) Being so easy to tell gender/sex at week 2-3 that could be handy if I could breed the color into these bearded guys, but if not it's no bother :D

Currently doing this ♡
~Bearded Cali Cochins
From G's Wings n' Things
I call them Designer Bantams
We are on Facebook
Based in Henderson Louisiana
We mixed D'uccle with calico cochin bantams & old English

The d'uccle for the beard and good milli patern
The old English to keep them small and add some patterning

Will be breeding back to Cochin white or Columbian this year to get the bobbed tail and fluffy body back and get more white.

Next year we should have all bearded cali colored and cochin bodied chickens curious to see what theyou will put off if they are consistent I'll be feeling pretty good!

I didn’t read any of the replies, but thought I’d share this picture

this guy had a Salmon Faverolles father and a buff bantam Cochin mother, he is beardless though

1CFADF97-43B9-4407-B7E8-1D55B77D9864.jpeg
B716A8C5-B723-44A1-A407-F753B1BAEDD4.jpeg

The white hen toward the back is the same mix and has a beard
0FCBFF88-0161-4080-B8C1-74196FE43026.jpeg

Edit:
Here are a couple more of the hen
427F8276-110C-4AA6-9EB9-BB732308B5AB.jpeg
DE00703C-89F5-4AC6-A54C-09D4726CB3DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom