Bearded d'anvers questions

More than the other birds I own, d’Anvers can handle confinement. I can’t say whether clipping wings would work because I’ve never done it, but since Jacin does, I’d say it’s a good idea. My only worry is that they are very snack size for arial predators, so I hope you have lots of trees.

My run is large and practically bomb proof, but it's also sheltered by a roof and the way it's connected to the coop and how the sun rises and falls, it just doesn't really get any sunshine. I could probably outfit it with roosts, swings, and toys, but my larger birds have never enjoyed being trapped inside and will even come out to loaf on my deck in the wintertime assuming there's a shoveled path for them to walk on.

We have three trees around the coop, two huge river birch trees and a crabapple tree. I also have a huge deck that my girls will run like hell to get under and several smaller bushes. Birds of prey are a concern... It's been 3 years since I've had birds on my property and I've yet to have an incident, knock on wood. To be perfectly honest I see a fair number of them. We get a lot of bald eagles. Lots of great horned and barred owls, but the girls put themselves to bed well before the owls come out. I have seen red tailed hawks, osprey and american kestrels but at a far lower frequency. I will post photos of my coop and run...

Attachments

• 20190127_133338.jpg
    20190127_133338.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190127_133404.jpg
    20190127_133404.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190127_133410.jpg
    20190127_133410.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190127_135909.jpg
    20190127_135909.jpg
    661.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190127_135929.jpg
    20190127_135929.jpg
    695.2 KB · Views: 4
My run is large and practically bomb proof, but it's also sheltered by a roof and the way it's connected to the coop and how the sun rises and falls, it just doesn't really get any sunshine. I could probably outfit it with roosts, swings, and toys, but my larger birds have never enjoyed being trapped inside and will even come out to loaf on my deck in the wintertime assuming there's a shoveled path for them to walk on.

We have three trees around the coop, two huge river birch trees and a crabapple tree. I also have a huge deck that my girls will run like hell to get under and several smaller bushes. Birds of prey are a concern... It's been 3 years since I've had birds on my property and I've yet to have an incident, knock on wood. To be perfectly honest I see a fair number of them. We get a lot of bald eagles. Lots of great horned and barred owls, but the girls put themselves to bed well before the owls come out. I have seen red tailed hawks, osprey and american kestrels but at a far lower frequency. I will post photos of my coop and run...
I love that design

Run is 3ft8" wide, 12ft long, 7ft8" tall.
Coop is 3ft8" wide, 10ft long, 7ft tall. This excludes the "people space" that's between the roll-up door and the inner door. I wanted a "double chamber" so that I could still have space to store strawbales, bags of feed and other products and tools.

This is only half of the shed! The other half is a sauna, believe it or not!

Looks awesome! Eagles and owls are no concern, sometimes hawks are, but even those are rare. Since you have a fence and cover, I think your birds will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom