Bearded d'Uccle missing feathers on neck.

BinaryChicken

Crowing
11 Years
Oct 12, 2012
Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, my Bearded Belgian d'Uccle, Millie, is missing feathers on the underside of her neck. When I first got her I treated her for Lice and Mites and now she has gotten rid of them. Is there anything I can do to help them grow back? Is there anything that might harm her because of this?

Hi, my Bearded Belgian d'Uccle, Millie, is missing feathers on the underside of her neck. When I first got her I treated her for Lice and Mites and now she has gotten rid of them. Is there anything I can do to help them grow back? Is there anything that might harm her because of this?

The bird is picking itself or getting picked. Sometimes self inflicted picking is a mineral/amino acid deficiency the bird is trying to compensate for. Sometimes they are just being neurotic. Biotin, Methionine, and Lysine are amino acids that help feather production. I'd suggest something like Poultry Cell mixed in the feed according to label directions. It has aminos, vitamins, and minerals that will help the new feather formation. I've used Pick-No-More lotion on birds in the past and it worked well to prevent further picking. Some of the pigeon supply stores carry some good quality avian supplements often lacking in your average poultry supply places.

Back
Top Bottom