Bearded Silkie Chicks

JordannL

Songster
Jul 7, 2023
W.V.
I found an ad on Craigslist about 2 months ago. It was from a farm that says they specifically raise Bearded Silkies. I was so excited and messaged them for information. We have chickens that are all grown and out in their coop. So we have been done using our broader stuff for a while. We didn't want the hassle of keeping them in the garage due to all the flies and stuff they were bringing in. So, when I messaged the farm, I asked if there was any chance that they would sell chickens that are older, so we could integrate them into the coop. But made sure they weren't going to be babies, due to what I previously said. She said that in July-August she would have chickens that were "Coop ready". I took that as the chicks would be at least 6+ weeks, right?? Or is it just me? Anyways, I messaged her yesterday to ask when exactly the COOP READY chickens would be available to buy and she said they were available now! So, we got excited! Made a plan to drive 1.5 hours to meet her (3 hours total) today, and get the chickens. We got there.....and she handed us a tiny box with 3 ONE WEEK OLD Bearded Silkie chicks. She never mentioned anything about it, took the money, and left. I'm so confused. What is "Coop ready"? I wouldn't think 1 week old. Anyways....we are now trying to find a new home for these 3 babies because we didn't want to go through purchasing all new supplies for just the 3 babies and it all go to waste. Unfortunately, it's not that easy to find a new home for them like I thought it would be! They're beautiful babies. And I'm so sad that they're not the age we were expecting. But what's the meaning of coop ready to everybody else? Am I in the wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20230707_185652_01.jpg
    IMG_20230707_185652_01.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 49
They are coop ready if it's summer where you are, if not, you can put the brooder in the coop.
Always ask specifics from internet breeder, there are so many shady people.

They are coop ready if it's summer where you are, if not, you can put the brooder in the coop.
Always ask specifics from internet breeder, there are so many shady people.
I'm in W.V. They're just so tiny and if I add them into my established coop, I'm definitely worried that the big chickens would harm them. So I don't want to just put them in there like that. I have to buy all new stuff for them which sucks and is more of a cost then we were expecting right now. I know that for future purchases for sure! :idunno

I'm in W.V. They're just so tiny and if I add them into my established coop, I'm definitely worried that the big chickens would harm them. So I don't want to just put them in there like that. I have to buy all new stuff for them which sucks and is more of a cost then we were expecting right now. I know that for future purchases for sure! :idunno
Oh dang. Yes, don't put these in the coop. They will be killed one way or another.

we brood outside year round now. I was always scared to do it, but it works great. However, summer brooding is more difficult because of the heat.

It's an added cost, but i suggest getting one of these for summer brooding.

Hook a box fan to cooling, and a heat source to heating. It will keep the brooder at a good temp when the ambient temps are too warm.

Inkbird WiFi ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Remote Monitoring Controlling Home Brewing Fermentation Breeding Incubation Greenhouse https://a.co/d/2cptGNN

Back
Top Bottom