Bearded Silkie Chicks

destiny_56085

Crowing
11 Years
May 29, 2009
Sleepy Eye, MN
Please PM me for sales. I currently have about 12-13 buff and 8-9 blacks available from last weeks hatch. I have 40+ eggs due to hatch this sunday and more the following weeks. There will be mainly black, blue and buff in there. There might be a couple splash or white available out of the next batch. Straight run only. Most of the current blacks have already been picked over and mainly PQ left on those. Next hatch should have plenty of nicer ones. I am NPIP #1058 and MN Hatchery Permit #10504.

Local pickup highly preferred. I live in Sleepy Eye MN...southwestern corner of the state. I will ship at buyers expense and risk though. Express mail and box normally runs about $65 and I can fit anywhere from 10-30 chicks in there.

My stock is out of exhibition lines only. All breeders are in separate pens by color. The blacks and whites are awesome. The blues and splash fare pretty well at most shows too. Occasionally I get lavendars and porcelain popping up out of my splash pen. The buffs are still a work in progress. The chicks are coming out all bearded, feathering at least to mid toe, most have vaulted skulls, no single combs, etc. I sometimes see some faults in toe spacing, 6th claws, and stuff like that popping up. I'll do my best to help you pick out chicks that suit your needs whether it be for backyard pets or possibly your next show stock. Hatching weekly through the end of August. Possibly some young stock for sale out of the growout pens too. Chicks are $5 each and young stock prices will depend on age and quality.

Here are a few more pics of my birds:
PICT0869.jpg

PICT0872.jpg

PICT0910.jpg

PICT2601.jpg

100_5432.jpg

PICT2359.jpg

PICT2364.jpg

PICT2603.jpg

000_0109.jpg

PICT2595-1.jpg

PICT1454.jpg

dscn1315.jpg

Hey Amy, I plan on coming up to the New Ulm Show in October, looks like maybe you need a darker combed roo? I will have LOTS of roos, maybe we could d o a trad efor a female. Oh, meant to say I am talking about Buffs LOL.

Last edited:
Thanks! Cara I may have to take you up on that. I bought a bunch of eggs from Jaynie Knight back in April
Amy in hopes of getting some. I have a cockerel thats like a buff with a white undertone and lots with some smut in the tail. Buffs are just so darn frustrating. On my old ones I have the body type, skin color isn't horrible (rooster is mulberry and hens are black), feet are ok, and they are throwing some really nice chicks. Reports back from quite a few of the people I've sold to say they have gotten alot of clear buffs out of mine so far. Every other day I am debating whether I should keep them or scrap that whole color and turn over that pen for more whites. The demand even for the PQ ones is high though.

Our fall BCPPA show is Oct. 9-10th in New Ulm. Our club just had a planning meeting last weekend. Eric Kutch, Art Reiber, and Jim Kohnechy are judging. Dale and I are putting together the show catalog and hope to have it out in mid-August. I still have to get it set up as a state meet for the ASBC and possibly for the NSBA. I know there is also a cochin meet at that show this year. The MN State Poultry Show in Hutchinson is on Oct 23-24th this year.

This is one of the first weeks since I have gotten through my waiting list on the year. Some people are still waiting on whites and splash. Its going to be a white til I work back up on numbers of those though. My growout pens are pretty full and I don't need to keep any more back til I make alot more cuts to what I already have. I figured if there is still interest in chicks I will continue to run the incubator. If I don't get any more orders then I will hatch out what's currently in there and not set anything new til December.
Amy

Not know the actual genetics behind my buff cockerels is tough, as I ended up with 2 non-bearded. Some have black in the tail but, I would rather keep roosters with black in areas because their body color is usually darker and they have no white undercoat, which seems to be a huge issue. Chicks look promising, but most are males. I only have 3 females left, so if you ever decide to get out of Buff, let me know.
My buff males and some chick pics

5710051.jpg

12110121.jpg

61110029.jpg

61110036.jpg

61110040.jpg

61110043.jpg

61110048.jpg

Holy cats is he ever dark skinned! I'll try to get pics of the babies in the growout pens this weekend. Those babies from Jaynie also yielded 3 non-bearded ones. The chicks out of mine are coming out every color of gold. Some are extremely light with very light skin too. Some are the medium with just a hint of bluish in the tail and dark skin. Some are almost a chocolate color as chicks and feather out super smutty. I have this lil problem with patience and tend to want to cull alot of those birds with any hint of dark.

I traded around days at work last week so I could go trail riding with our saddle club. Now I'm just about through a 9 day stretch at work. I have sat-tues off to just go riding and play with the birds.

Thanks
thumbsup.gif
I love all my chicks I got from you they are all doing woderfully.. What a GREAT way to hatch chicks let someone else do it!!!It was sooo nice openging the box and seeing all the lil chicks looking up at me...Thanks again.. Loving them..
frow.gif

Amy has wonderful stock. I have had adolescent birds and chicks shipped to me. With a black pullet from her I took Reserve of Breed at RMPA show in May, and with a white cockerel I got Best of Variety at a show in Stevenson, Wa.

By the way Amy, I have dibs on some whites in fall once it cools down some.
wink.png

Had to cull that splash cockerel... and now am getting eggs from the two white pullets (one from Calesta and one from Sheryl) that are in with the white cockerels.

OOhohoh! And you should SEE some of the black chicks from her lines- both ones I purchased from her and had shipped and those I hatched from a cockerel from her over Calesta pullets... I've got some nice stuff that will, with any luck, be ready to make a debut at the fall shows. She is always more than reasonable with pricing too, and goes above and beyond when arranging shipping.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom