Bears are back!

Mtnboomer

Crowing
Mar 17, 2019
Southwest Virginia (mountains)
We had our first visitor of the season last night. We heard a noise at the trash can (lazy man can on the deck) last night around midnight. I went out to check and found the can pulled over and a bag of trash in the yard. As I scanned the yard with the flashlight looking for the culprit, I was looking to the wood's edge (about 50 yrds) eith no sign. Then I heard him and shined the light much closer. Coming up the deck steps less than 10 feet away was a 250-300lb black bear!

Normally, I shout at the bears in the yard or fire a few shots to scare them off but when they are that close, shouting can startle them and induce an attack. So I pulled the grill between us and then shouted at him to shew him off. If worked.

This morning I checked the coop and other than a few investigating claw marks in the wood siding, no damage was done.

Bears in the yard are not frequent but also not uncommon either. Usually beginning in May and ending in November, we see a bear or sign of its presence about once every 2 wks.

When designing your coops, research the predators in your area and try to account for the most common animals as well as the potential threats regardless of how big or small. Its easier to deter or prevent than cleaning up the mess and rebuilding afterwards.
All trash cans are now back in the "bear box" for the summer.

Yikes! That sounds scary! We don’t have many bears here, just in the mountains (our friends who live in the mountains see lots), thankfully!

I still haven't seen our area's resident sow bear but my mother in law keeps getting visits from a young male who goes for the bird feeders. We keep trying to remind her to stop feeding once spring is upon us, but she forgets... so the bear reminds her.

For bears, you want something strong. Premier1supplies.com has products and good advice, online and (usually) by phone.
Black bears are nice, but NOT in the yard!
Mary
Most bears you would see in the mountains while hunting or hiking you never do. The moment they catch human scent, they are gone! Its the ones that have learned that human activity equals food and come into close proximity with little to no fear are the dangerous ones.

This dude did not bolt and run away but rather turn and trot off as if to say "I'll come back later."

Other than a sal with cubs, trash bears are the most dangerous and the biggest nuisance we face each season. But nuisance bears are like human burglars. Unless you are in immediate danger or they are in the house, you cant shoot them (not that i would unless I really felt threatened).
Its a struggle here as most people accept that we are living in their environment and they are just adapting to us. But I am also a parent of 2 small children. Any aggression towards them will not be tolerated.

Oh gosh. I've lived here in southeast TN my whole life. I've seen rattle snakes, copper heads, black widow spiders, coyotes, and a bobcat and other smaller less dangerous predators. I'm fine with all of them although coyotes howls give me goosebumps. The very thought of bears? Terrified. I personally haven't seen any but I think they're here. Probably a stupid question but do motion sensor lights help at all?

Funny story. When we lived in a duplex I had to go out on the second story deck, down the stairs, to get to the basement and laundry area. One day I was running late with laundry so it's pitch black outside I ran out on the porch and shut the door. Turned around and met the eyes of a raccoon standing two feet away. We both did this running in place dance, me trying to run backwards into the patio door and getting nowhere cause it was closed, and the raccoon bobbing back and forth. Well he decided to run towards me to go down the stairs. I screamed, laundry went flying. The raccoon flew off halfway down the steps and left a little water trail behind him. I don't know who scared who more. I'm not scared of raccoons but in pitch black and it standing up on hind legs doing this crazy dance my brain took a long time to catch up! lol

Back
Top Bottom