Bears in Chattanooga TN area?

TMarie

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2013
My family and I live in Illinois. Never lived anywhere else. We're considering moving somewhere more warm.
We've started looking at the chattanooga tn area. Land is so cheap and we're hoping to have a large property with no neighbors, and our small farm.
My problem is:
All I can think about are BEARS 😱
The feed and chickens would attract them right? Are horses and goats and pigs safe?
And the snakes 🥺
Is there safer land to look for?
How do you protect yourselves from these things on a farm? What should we expect? I'm sure my imagination is way worse than the real thing. Can you help me get a grasp of the real thing? Thank you!

I live in Florida and there are bears here too. There is a hunting season. I have never seen a bear here but have seen about every other predator. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens and so far nothing has gotten past them. For a bear you need a good charger that will deliver a good shock. You probably don't have to worry about it. Go to the Tennessee thread. You will probably be able to find out what predators are there. Good luck...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tennessee.226276/page-352

I can’t say for sure, however, on BYC you can ask in the TN forum. Go to Social> where am I ....> to pinned post at top - find TN thread in the list.

Additionally, go to TN dept of wildlife or natural resources. They most likely will have pertinent information.

and you can call the county agricultural extension office for the county you are considering. They should also be able to directly answer your questions.

I can’t say for sure, however, on BYC you can ask in the TN forum. Go to Social> where am I ....> to pinned post at top - find TN thread in the list.

Additionally, go to TN dept of wildlife or natural resources. They most likely will have pertinent information.

and you can call the county agricultural extension office for the county you are considering. They should also be able to directly answer your questions.

Thank you!! I didn't know there was a Tennessee thread

I live in Florida and there are bears here too. There is a hunting season. I have never seen a bear here but have seen about every other predator. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens and so far nothing has gotten past them. For a bear you need a good charger that will deliver a good shock. You probably don't have to worry about it. Go to the Tennessee thread. You will probably be able to find out what predators are there. Good luck...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tennessee.226276/page-352
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom