Beat the Heat: Build a chicken igloo!

So cool
cool.png

Thanks for the idea! I plan on implementing a modified version tonight in the coolness of the dark. The temp got up to 111* F today where I am at and I have chickens dropping like flies. I am desperate to do something to get them cool! I went to lowes and bought a 2'x2' raised garden bed, 2 bags of play sand, some styrofoam for insulation a fan and a mister. I'll post a few pics when I have it all set up! Wish me luck!

Quote:
Yes!
celebrate.gif
. So happy to hear of your plans!

Sounds like an awesome setup you have in mind...I'm just a few hundred miles south of you (HA, only in TX would you put "just" in front of the words "100 miles") and we 've been miserably hot for so long, it's time to get creative.

Best of luck, and please be sure to post your results, and your pics, too! Can't wait to hear your results
pop.gif

It is not a litterbox, hubby got it from his work, actually. It is a lot sturdier, taller, and thicker than a litterbox. But, I'm sure you can find something similar somewhere.

For depth, I'd guess you want 2" for the ice trays, 2-4 inches of sand on top, and still some room left to tuck in the sides of that foam insulation stuff. For width/length just picture how many chickens will fit in there comfortably (keep in mind who gets along with whom ...maybe you need more than one box to keep everyone happy...)

Good luck, and let me know how it works out for you.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if a dogloo or even a big cooler with a hole cut in it would work.... Hmmmmm

I think those big plastic black tubs they mix cement in would work to hold more chickens. They are very sturdy. In Lowe's and Home Depot, about two feet by three plus feet, for about nine dollars. They come in a smaller size too.

Great idea.

OMYGAWD what a simply perfect idea. It regularly gets around 105 where I am during the summer. Though Id have to modify the concept to accomodate about 60 but what the heck...... lets see... landscape timbers.... pond liner..... Sand of course.... Nice long trough....

thanks a bunch

perchie.girl :

OMYGAWD what a simply perfect idea. It regularly gets around 105 where I am during the summer. Though Id have to modify the concept to accomodate about 60 but what the heck...... lets see... landscape timbers.... pond liner..... Sand of course.... Nice long trough....

thanks a bunch

Would love to see what you come up with!​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom