BantamBabies

Chirping
Sep 1, 2019
My 5 month old silkies and satins will sit in our coop even on hot days (we are in pacific north west valley so our hottest day is upper 90s) but the coop gets pretty hot compared to the outside temps. Over 100 when the outside reaches mid 80s. I’ll catch them panting! Are they really not that smart? I have to kick them out and close their chicken door to force them to cool down. I’ve been providing ice in their water (which I moved into their run) and they’ll sit in a huddle by the coop ramp wanting back in. We have dirt in their run and sand in their coop. The sand must be cool? But they wander around panting inside the coop so I’m thinking they’re just too young to have survival skills? Any help or suggestions? Maybe add sand to their run as well? I really don’t want high maintenance chickens. Lol Thanks.

Is the 'staying in the coop' behavior new?
Something may have spooked them out in the run.
Is the run shaded?

Here's my hot weather notes:

Deep all day shade is best but....

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Is the 'staying in the coop' behavior new?
Something may have spooked them out in the run.
Is the run shaded?

Here's my hot weather notes:

Deep all day shade is best but....

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full
These are great tricks! I’ll start the block of ice idea in a shallow something they can walk in! Their run is fully covered so 98% is in the shade, very safe. The only thing I can think is my 3 and 4 yr old girls are probably a scare but half love the attention and the other half tolerate them pretty well. They’re not allowed in the coop, only the run.

Back
Top Bottom