Beating Louisiana's heat. Got questions and need tips!

jwyles

Crossing the Road
May 8, 2017
Louisiana
Hi!!! I've got my very first flock of 10 chicks all approx 6-12 weeks old. They live outside in a 100 square foot run complete with tin roof & temporary coop. We live in Louisiana where summers are HOT and the humidity makes it worse. I'm looking for tips and tricks to provide temporary relief from the heat as well as recommendations for coop design. We are about to add a 4'x10' permanent coop and before we begin I'd like to know if anyone has advice on how to make their coop a refuge by making it as cool and comfortable as possible. Has anyone ever seen or used solar powered outdoor fan? If so how did it work for you? TIA

We use a fan in the coop, shade over their run (in the city they can't free range so much) frozen water bottles in there water bucket, frozen/refrigerated fruit and a mister. I'm in Florida and understand the heat!

We use a fan in the coop, shade over their run (in the city they can't free range so much) frozen water bottles in there water bucket, frozen/refrigerated fruit and a mister. I'm in Florida and understand the heat!
Where do find mister misters?

Frozen gallon milk containers work well when placed on the ground so they can lean up against them to help keep cool too.

Frozen gallon milk containers work well when placed on the ground so they can lean up against them to help keep cool too.
This is a great idea! Ive got 3 2 liter bottles I saved knowing I could use them for something during the spring/summer months (I'm all about recycling) and I'm about to fill them up and stick them in the freezer so I can give them to my girls tomorrow. Thank you!

Thanks I'm going to check this out. Hopefully they'll have some solar powered options. I also really want the fan not only for heat but gnats as well. They are awful. I built my run with screen which really does cut the amount of bugs that get in but some gnats find their way through the screen and they are awful this year!

This is a great idea! Ive got 3 2 liter bottles I saved knowing I could use them for something during the spring/summer months (I'm all about recycling) and I'm about to fill them up and stick them in the freezer so I can give them to my girls tomorrow. Thank you!
Make sure you don't fill them ALL the way up before freezing. Leave a little room.
;)

Back
Top Bottom