Beautiful PEAHEN pics!!!

Pretty! Do any of you guys have a Congo?
Congo peafowl are pretty rare to find in collections I think...
The reason being is they are very tropical so they require a lot of heat. You might even have to keep them in a greenhouse type setting but I am not sure. I think you can only find them at zoos and I also 'think' that they might be pretty hard to breed, but I am not exactly sure!

Ok if they do require a lot of heat they wouldn't do good here where I live in wisconsin!!!!!! LOL! It gets around 30 40 degrees here at night and usually only 60 70 degrees here in the day!!!!

Congo peafowl are pretty rare to find in collections I think...
The reason being is they are very tropical so they require a lot of heat. You might even have to keep them in a greenhouse type setting but I am not sure. I think you can only find them at zoos and I also 'think' that they might be pretty hard to breed, but I am not exactly sure!
They would like it here it's 93 degrees rite now and the humidity is higher than my incubator that is set at 54 % summers are real killers here but winters are wonderful, I hate the heat.
Spectrumranch has Congo's I believe, he caters to the exotics,sells to zoo's and does sales.. Just type in spectrumranch and he comes up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Zazouse! Yeah we get heat here too...I think the other day it was 99 degrees. I like the heat but I don't like the winters we get here. In this part of Florida we get cold winters with lots of cold wind and it is not those nice dry winters some people enjoy... We don't get snow of course but sometimes water freezes. I just don't like the winter though so I love to complain about it. I get cold easily.

I love seeing photos from Spectrumranch! What a set up they have! Elk, deer, water buffalo, tons of exotic pheasants, and I think they were wanting some giraffes...Not sure if they got any yet. I didn't know he sells to zoos...That would be awesome to sell to zoos.

Well I checked Spectrum Ranch's facebook page and I couldn't find photos of Congo Peafowl. I found a topic here on BYC saying that they wanted Congo peafowl so they might be working on that.

Yeah the peafowl all relax during the hottest part of the day. They find some shade under a bush, tree, or shelter and perch or lie there. Some of them will jump into their water. I use a large container for their water so that they can get in and cool off. When my peahens have peachicks I put a small water dish in the pen for the peachicks to use.

Back
Top Bottom