Beautiful Rooster- but Mean and Agressive

Quote:
I've used the water hose to keep a hen from bothering a pullet in the yard. A squirt bottle is a good idea.

Your Welcome..
I just had to use the squirt bottle on my roo. I have to use it everytime I go into the coop.

This has worked for us, maybe you can try it. We had a cockerel who bit. Hard. He would just come up and bite for no reason. So, every time he bit, I would pick him up, and force him to endure riding around with me for a few minutes while I pinned his wings, petted and made a fuss over him. He didn't like it, but he did stop biting and now he is a very tame, easily handleable rooster, who flies to my arms each morning to get the first bite of feed. We have a cockerel now who pecks and we are trying the same thing. I think it has something to do with showing dominance, or maybe they just learn being mean doesn't do them any good.

My barred rock roo bowed up to me one time. I kicked the snot out of him and he has never done it again.

I am glad you're not considering giving him away with his bad temperment. Go ahead and try all the methods mentioned, they just might work with your roo. But if they don't, then don't hesitate to turn him into food or fertilizer, either by yourself or have someone else do it for you. There are many many nice, mannerly, and equally handsome roosters available for your flock, there's no reason to put up with aggression from any roo.

Back
Top Bottom