Beaver Hunting on Private Land.

gmendoza

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Rock Hill,SC
Answered an ad on Craigslist.

Wanted Beaver Hunter on Private Land.

Called lady and got all the low-down info.

She Owns a house and a 20 acre pond that has in the past year got invaded by beavers.They are tearing the trees up a bit I hear.So going over to assess the damage and set some snares.Guess I will be in the beaver pelt/meat business soon.

Need to make 4 snares,snare stakes,coiled wire to keep snares down to 2" off of dirt,need muck boots,gloves,axe handle to dispach beavers,and permission papers from her to trap and kill beavers on her land.

All other necessary forms/info obtained.Got info from SCDNR (South Carolina Department of Natural Rescources).

Going on Saturday up by Lake Wylie,SC in the morning to spot Beaver slides,areas where beavs hang out.

Your Thoughts.
caf.gif
caf.gif
caf.gif
caf.gif
old.gif

ps. have trapped beavers before with snares and dispached them with axe handle in Alaska in 1990's.
old.gif

Cool! Have fun! Beavers are beautiful, but man, they can really do some damage!! My husbands best friend is a philbert farmer, and he has to occasionally "relocate" a beaver dam on their property, or it floods all his orchards.

Yeah,we cannot relocate beavers here in SC.It is illegal. Its legal to shoot them all year long here on Private lands though.

But thats the ticket,I cant shoot them on her pond because:

shooting a beaver in the water is illegal in SC because of the riccoche.
if it dies in the water it sinks to the bottom.
her kids like to swim in the pond and with a dead beaver in there poses health risks.
if I use beaver load,I dont want the lead to be spreading everywhere because of kids/pets.

I told her not to let her kids swim in there for now because of beaver fever.They can catch it because of the beavers droppings in the water.all sorts of nasty bacterial transfer.

So Ill snare,then club 'em with an axe handle.Set my snares on Sat morning,collect beavs on Sun morning.

Oh, by "relocate" I meant "blow up".
wink.png
Nobody uses their pond for anything, so the beavers get shot rather than trapped there too.

I think it's great that you're going about everything the right way, and are knowledgeable enough to warn her to keep her kids out of there for now!
thumbsup.gif

It has crossed my mind to trap a few, but they move around quite a bit in our area. Lots and lots of lakes in the area. They damage some good trees, but for the most part they actually help our forests recover from the 1900 logging of the big white pines. They beavers will mow down stands of aspen in a hurry, this releases the young white pine understory, bringing things back to the way they were in a much quicker fashion..

Matter of fact the beavers did me a favor and clear cut the aspen off the field my chickens will be in this summer...
smile.png

Good luck on trapping those fellas..

I have not been watching fur prices lately, last I checked around $30 for a good northern pelt.

ON

In Michigan, there is a law that you can TRAP most fur-bearing mammals within so many feet of a watercourse IF that water will ultimately end up in the Great Lakes, which is nearly all of our watercourses. This includes private land. A friend of mine ran into some issues with her mixed breed dog who got caught in a trap (she rescued him) but when she saw that someone had put a trap in her creek (she lives about 10 miles from Lake Huron) the lawyers said there was nothing they could do. The trapper was legally allowed to put them there because it was Great Lakes watershed.

Well thats some of the reason Im not using a conibear trap,nor a snap trap.South Carolina says its legal to use them,but what of the liability? I dont want some kid or family pet caught in my snap trap. Thats why I will use snares which SC says its legal. Id like to see some person caught in a snare that they cannot get out of.
big_smile.png

Also im not using a gun because:

its illegal to fire across or on a lake or pond in SC due to riccoche.
I dont want any lead left in or on the ground for some kid or family pet to ingest.
I dont have any guns.

But I used to trap in Alaska with just snares and either a potato rake and/or an axe handle to dispatch snared beasts.

I might make it a habbit and make a side job out of this. $30.00 per pelt is money in da bank.
droolin.gif

We shall see,I will post pics.
caf.gif

I love beavers. I always said that if we win the lottery and buy our hundreds of acres, if there is a pond on it I want some beavers. I know how disruptive they are, my dad had some on his creek until the neighbor on the other side tore down the dam. we have a wildlife area here and I love to go drive by and see if I can see them. I love the backed up water habitat they create and all the new wildlife that it attracts. Such neat little guys. Im sure though that not everybody has the space to let them flood acres and acres of their land. Good luck with your snaring!

Back
Top Bottom