Because sometimes you have to laugh.... When a cow gets out in NYC...

Atta girl, Queenie Maxine!

Not too long after we moved out of the suburbs to our current home, a black bear wandered through our front yard. I watched it from the front door, even managing to get a couple of pictures. I went to work the next day, and told everybody about our visitor. Everyone wanted to know what I did. Did I chase it? (Um, no. It's a bear. One of the few wild creatures around here that might actually outweigh me.) Did I call the police? (I can imagine the reaction from our County Sheriff's office.) What about Animal Control? (What would they do with a bear??? And it wasn't hurting anything - just wandering around the country, as bears do.)

Not knowing much about an animal makes them scary I guess... It seems that most people are smart enough to admit that they don't know what to do and call on whoever they think would (police, animal control, etc). It gets more dangerous when someone has bad information and think they know what to do than when they have none at all...

I always get uneasy when I am in cow pastures. For some reason I treat them like sharks and try to not make any sudden movements cause I have a strange fear of them trampling me.

I always get uneasy when I am in cow pastures. For some reason I treat them like sharks and try to not make any sudden movements cause I have a strange fear of them trampling me.

I'm with you Matthew,
Ever notice that there are millions of cows in this country and millions of missing people.
And you never see them at the same time.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Atta girl, Queenie Maxine!

Not too long after we moved out of the suburbs to our current home, a black bear wandered through our front yard. I watched it from the front door, even managing to get a couple of pictures. I went to work the next day, and told everybody about our visitor. Everyone wanted to know what I did. Did I chase it? (Um, no. It's a bear. One of the few wild creatures around here that might actually outweigh me.) Did I call the police? (I can imagine the reaction from our County Sheriff's office.) What about Animal Control? (What would they do with a bear??? And it wasn't hurting anything - just wandering around the country, as bears do.)

When I was a kid in the Alaskan woods, us kids would chase/follow the bears on our bikes. Parents screaming for us to get our backsides away from those bears. Good Times.

Imp

Are you in NYC or some other area Northwind? I cherish my time back at the farm. I miss the city when I am there but I miss there when I am here...

No, I'm not in New York (but I have always wanted to visit someday!) I've always lived in smaller cities, the largest one I've visited would probably have to be London, a few years back.

No, I'm not in New York (but I have always wanted to visit someday!) I've always lived in smaller cities, the largest one I've visited would probably have to be London, a few years back.

I recommend a visit over a residency if you're used to smaller cities. I grew up in Queens (really a part of NYC, but to us from the area, NYC = Manhattan) and Long Island, and had fun many many times in the city (even worked there for a while), but cherished the return home. For me, it becomes sensory overload after a while. And though my yards have never been huge, I need to have some grass and a garden where I live.

Thank you all for reading. I hope that it brighted a few faces!
AquaEyes - I am in Ozone Park. What part of moving to the Island was hardest for you? As I remember it, life at 12 was hard enough without the moving part!

Well, there were a lot of things going on at the time, but regarding the move, I'd say the hardest part was the change in school. I came from gifted classes in my old school, but that wasn't an option at my new school. When I was tested, my mother was told I could just skip sixth grade and go into seventh, but she declined (I found out years later...I'd much rather have skipped, but this was just one of many instances of her....well, nevermind...). Sixth grade was the last year of grammar school when I was a student, and I was the new guy who already knew all the answers for the year. Suffice it to say I made no friends until Junior High the following year, and none were from that grammar school (three merged into my Junior High).

One weird thing I remember is an attitude change from my old town to my new town. Where I grew up in Queens, people sat out front and interacted with their neighbors. In Levittown, the front yard was "just for show" and people thought that the "new people" were odd for sitting on some chairs in the driveway and saying hello to passerby. Oh, and people thought they owned the parking areas in front of their houses. In College Point, we were happy just to find a spot. In Levittown, people didn't like "other people's cars" in front of their houses. But, overall, I have to say that growing up in Levittown was pretty nice (oh, I was in the Island Trees district....the Levittown district was another story, from what I understood...haha!).

I recommend a visit over a residency if you're used to smaller cities. I grew up in Queens (really a part of NYC, but to us from the area, NYC = Manhattan) and Long Island, and had fun many many times in the city (even worked there for a while), but cherished the return home. For me, it becomes sensory overload after a while. And though my yards have never been huge, I need to have some grass and a garden where I live.

Yeah, I could never imagine living in London, let alone New York. :lol: I'm pretty happy where I am, and my garden is larger than most of the neighbours'.

Sort of ironically I grew up around cows, not chickens, but I think it would be a whole lot harder to try to keep a calf in the backyard!

NYC is a neat place to visit. It can be a rough place to live, but not always. It is sooooo big that you can tuck yourself into a neat little pocket and stay there - and a lot of people do. I know people who only go into 'the city' (Manhattan) a couple times a year - or are afraid to go at all - and it is a 25 min train ride...

Sort of ironically I grew up around cows, not chickens, but I think it would be a whole lot harder to try to keep a calf in the backyard!

NYC is a neat place to visit. It can be a rough place to live, but not always. It is sooooo big that you can tuck yourself into a neat little pocket and stay there - and a lot of people do. I know people who only go into 'the city' (Manhattan) a couple times a year - or are afraid to go at all - and it is a 25 min train ride...

Before I worked in Manhattan, I'd try to go in once a month or so. I'd plan to arrive at Times Square around 10am, get a half-price ticket (or two, if I brought a friend) for a Broadway show for that night, then spend the day on some kind of outing -- either exploring in general, or seeking a particular destination, like a museum, zoo, or the Cloisters. Then I'd grab dinner, see the show, and go home. When I was alone, it was my special "me" time, when I got to do all the geeky things that tend to draw quizzical looks and yawns when I try to do them with other people.

tongue.png

Once I started working in Manhattan and had to ride the LIRR 45 minutes each way several times a week, I rarely made a special trip in. Usually, if I wanted to see a show, I'd go in early on a lunch-shift day (I was a server in a restaurant), get my ticket, work, grab dinner, and then head on down to the theatre. The last thing I wanted to do on a day off was get on the train when I didn't absolutely have to.

Back
Top Bottom