Becca, Tiny & Others

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Jul 9, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First, the Tiny Terrorist, following me around, being her usual irritating self. You can see her spurs pretty well in the second pic. She's molting so her feathers are tattered:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then, Becca, snuggling up with DH. We've had to give Becca penicillin in an effort to stave off egg peritonitis. Found her abdomen fluidy, plus she's been on and off the nest while producing no egg. Being my DH's favorite hen, as you can see, he has to do everything he possibly can to save her. She and her sister, Amanda, are over 4 yrs old now. In the pic as well are Snow (L) and Georgie (R), two more lap chickens, who must wait their turns, because Becca comes first.

Georgie's sister, Ellie, seems to have an egg stuck somewhere in the oviduct. Can't get to it and it may be a bit sideways, so sadly, we may lose her if we can't move it on down. [​IMG] This summer is a brutal one so far. It will be a miracle if we don't lose at least one to the heat and humidity in addition to these egg issues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Gee Cyn,

Are those chickens or lap dogs??? [​IMG] Couldn't resist with those last 2 pix! Just too cute!

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Great pics! Hope you get to the bottom of your sweet girls issues. [​IMG] And, I hear you about the heat! [​IMG]

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    This is an off the wall suggestion, and I really don't know if it's possible, but have you considered seeing if a vet would use a general anesthetic and remove the ovaries on your problem girls? Just wondering if it is possible?

5. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I hope you can figure everything out!
    And yeah...I'm in MI, but the heat has been terrible here too. Dry heat is one thing...but that muggy yuck is quite another.
    A lot of people have lost critters to the heat this year. [​IMG]
    Those last two snuggle photos are absolutely adorable!

6. speckledhen

No, haven't considered it. No money for that type thing, unfortunately, even if there was a vet here who had even heard of such a thing.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    OMG there is that barred man stealing floozy and her cohorts. Hehehe

That terrorist is a mess and looks like a sumatra.

8. speckledhen

Well, she sure acts like a Sumatra, and a spoiled one at that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by