Becky again

NeeCee51

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
As a lot of you know my Becky has a bad leg and I have been treating it seems like forever. Took her to the vet so her could check her leg and he is concerned she has lost too much weight. I thought about force feeding her but she does eat just not very much. Anyone have any ideas of what I can give her to get some of the weight back? He said if she keeps losing it does not help in her healing. I have tried yogurt and today I bought some chick starter. She really liked that but I'm not sure if I can use that instead of her regular food which are pellets and she is so small I think she is having a hard time eating them. I also bought some vitamin/electrolyte powder. The directions say to mix one scoop to a gallon of water. Problem is I only have one chicken and I don't know how long it is good for. She doesn't even drink a pint of water per day and I like to change her water daily. Also I read something about cat food. Don't know anything about that either. Any help would be appreciated. If I don't get some weight bak on her I'll have to put her down...

You can tube feed with a food called exact by kaytee. Its a hand feeding formula and flows nicely in The tube. If you don't have a tube in a pinch you can use clean fish air tubbing. it's the perfect size. Exact has all her vitamins and omegas and probotics for her. I highly recommend giving that a try. if you search on these forums tube feeding they will go over the instructions on how to do it. At first it can be nerving but after the first time it gets a lot easier. Hope this helps you out

Thanks so much. I did see that at PetSmart today when I was looking for other things. I have looked at how to tube feed and since I have been giving her meds with a syringe it should be easy. I picked up some Chick Starter. The vet told me to try and feed her anything she will eat. I gave her some and she went to town on it. I will get some of that powder and keep it on hand. Thanks so much!!!

Chick starter is fine. Pellets should also be no problem - even small bantams can eat them without issue.

If you offer water with electrolytes, be sure to offer plain water as well - some birds do not like the electrolytes and will not drink well if fresh water is not available.

Thanks for the link Casportpony, I'll check it out. Muttsfan, I did read that about the water. She did drink the electrolyte waterbut I will give her plain as well. Thanks for all your help. I just need to get her stronger..

Back
Top Bottom