Bed time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by homestead5er, Apr 29, 2009.

1. homestead5er

homestead5er Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Loganville
    I don't have to put the chick's in the coop any more, their going in on there own. All I have to do is close the poop door. [​IMG] They have been in the new home for 10 days. They will be 6 weeks old Friday.

2. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    way to go chicks.
    How long did it take for them to go in on their own

3. homestead5er

homestead5er Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Loganville
    It took nine nights. They are staying out side all day, they go out a 6:30 am.

4. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Aww thats good to hear I hope ours get the idea that quick! I worry about them and will prolly stress out the first couple of days we move them in their new home! But I still have like 4 weeks before I worry about that!

5. whathaveidone

whathaveidone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    That is good to hear...

Ours are dumb as rocks! I put a light on in the coop and they jst gather up near the door, piling one on the other! The good thing is that I can wait till dark then just go pick them up in the dark easily - no chasing!

I've been putting them on the ramp into the coop and pushing them up the ramp hoping they'll get the idea...

It's only been 5 nights though, so maybe soon...............

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Welcome to BYC. The easiest way to get them to reliably go into their coop each night without having to chase them or add lights or do anything else like stand on your head is to lock them in the coop for a few days, maybe a week with no access to the outside or their pen.
    They'll learn from this that the coop is home and where they should be each night.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by