Bedding for chicks

Bigfatchicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 9, 2009
sarasota, Florida
My chicks are now two weeks old and are kicking almost all of their bedding out of their cage and I was wondering if I could replace the shavings with hay, so it will not go every where and get into their food and water.

I've been using Equine Fresh - a pelleted horse bedding (that I use for my horses) for this year's chicks...and I am VERY pleased! Keeps down the smell, the dust, and they are not inlined to "taste" it.

It is compressed pine and safe for chicks - I'm loving it! Here is a picture of my bantams on it:

DSC_0106Small-1.jpg

From our experience, hay is entirely too dusty to use inside and especially around small chicks. We've used fresh straw which definitely stays inside the cage but it can be a bit dusty as well. Sand has worked great for us and they really don't kick much out. You can use a reptile cage scooper to sift the little droppings out and keep it clean for them as well. Hope that helps!

Quote:
Did you use this from day one or did you keep them on paper towels a few days first before switching them to the equine fresh?

Quote:
I plan on using sand in my coop, but didn't know it was ok for the brooder as well. Do you use it from day 1? Thanks!

I may have to check out those pellets as well.. anything that keeps down the dust would be great!
smile.png

Quote:
Did you use this from day one or did you keep them on paper towels a few days first before switching them to the equine fresh?

I have used these since they arrived at two days old (and this particular group is all bantam). I did not use the paper towels as they were not eating the pellets
big_smile.png
and they had no trouble negotiating their way all over the place in there!

One bag is $5.99 and covered 16square feet easily.

Great! I am going to give this a try.
This will be my first chicks ever. I was going to get pullets but decided I would like to try and raise my own from babies.
I am waiting for our local TSC to get them in this week or next.

I have a large microwave oven box, a screen for over the top, the chick feeder and waterer that TSC carries, and a 75 watt heat bulb.
I need to get the equine pellets, feed, marbles for the waterer so they dont drown and the lamp to hold the bulb.

I hope I am not forgetting anything! Its scary and exciting at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom