Bedding for chicks

i didn't take the time to read all of the posts, so this may have been covered already. we had the same problem. when our chicks were 2 weeks old, i moved them out of the rabbit cage into a large storage tub that's 35"x21". since it's solid sided, it works well to keep the shavings inside and not flying through the walls like the rabbit cage. also, i had some leftover blocks from the coop project that i stacked under the feeder and waterer to get them off the floor. this helps to keep them cleaner, but i still find shavings and litter in both. not sure it can be stopped entirely until they're big enough to move into the coop and get the food and water well off the floor.

All with BarnDry in them.
How could someone use the stuff if it was leathal?
That's alot of money on the line!!!
Mike
wink.png

Click on thumb to enlarge.

Last edited:
Quote:
We started out using pine shavings with our new hatchlings but it was super dusty. I'm not sure about using it for the first few days. Maybe better to try the pellets or shelf liner at the bottom for the first 2-3 then switch because sand might not give the traction they need to get their legs started off right. Good luck!
smile.png

THANKS! I think that's probably what I'll do.
smile.png

Quote:
I think I might still go with the pellets and see how it goes.

I havent had any children but have a ton of pets as life has gone on so far (I am 39 yrs old) and I am more nervous about the chicks than any other pet I have or have had.
I dont know when my chicks will be arriving. I am waiting on TSC to get them in. I have called them every day for a week but so far they keep saying "tomorrow" or "next week". Nothing yet though.
sad.png

Well, my chicks are coming up on 4 weeks old - and I definitely have had no casualties. And they certainly have not shown the slightest inclination towards eating the pelleted bedding. It still gets my stamp of approval...

I have another batch of chicks coming on April 21st - (yippeeeeeeeeee!!!) and their fluffy little butts will be on pelleted horse bedding!
lol.png

There are lots of solutions for bedding - you just have to find what works best for you!

Quote:
Maybe because it's cheap and they go through so much that the loss of a few chicks doesn't effect their bottom line. I'm not saying that's the case here. Just that them using it doesn't mean it's 100% safe. It seems reasonable that it would be an impaction risk however unlikely ingestion.

I'm certainly no expert though. I'm ending day 4 of my first two chicks. I've been using coconut fiber in the brooder for 24 hours now. I use it in vivariums for reptiles and amphibians because its bacteria free, non-toxic, and doesn't cause impaction issues. I like having it in the brooder because it feels like more of a natural environment for them. When I had them on paper towels Winifred (Polish) would constantly pester Martha (Dorking). Now she keeps occupied scratching for food. And all that scratching keeps the droppings mixed in. After 24 hours there still was no smell, so I only changed half the litter. One brick costs $3-5 and makes 1/2 ft³.

I also am liking the results of using straw for the nesting. Their bottoms seem cleaner since the droppings rub off the straw and fall through and they look so darn cute sleeping on it.

51900_day_4_substrate.jpg

Smells like dirt. After hydrating it I baked it to dry it out since I didn't want to have to wait another day for it to dry. The whole house smelled very earthy.

Back
Top Bottom