Bedding for Duck House? Hay or Shavings?

I use sand inside their nighttime coop..and straw in the winter for warmth. then change the straw completely in the spring.,and add a thick layer of sand.
Right now there's wood shavings on top of the sand,becuase we're about to have ducklings in there with mommy. :)
but the sand is easy in the summer months cause it hardens on the top and I remove it and add more sand,,clean, and fairly cheap!

I use the deep litter method in my brooder, and I fully intend to use it in my duck house as well. Peat moss on the bottom for absorption, about 3 inches thick. Then a few handfuls of garden dirt on top to provided starter microbes. Next a 2-3 inch layer of pine shavings (less absorbent than peat, more absorbent than straw) to help with absorption, and to provide a barrier to keep the ducks from dabbing down into the peat. Finally, a layer of straw, about an inch thick. I add more straw as needed. Once a week I go in with my garden claw and mix things up a bit. So far, it's working well.

Hay is not a good idea for a couple of reasons. First, it produces mold and mildew much too quickly, and some molds (aspergillis comes to mind) are toxic to poultry and other small animals. Second, most people intend to use the duck litter in their gardens, and hay is full of weed seeds. So unless you have a plan in place to hot compost your litter, or you have an endless amount of time for weeding, you should use chopped straw.

I have found that by putting a thin coat of wood shavings on the floor for bedding is grand--I do not water or feed them in their shed-
every 3 days I clean /sweep and scoop with shovel and put down fresh bedding--twice a month I disinfect the shed with bleach /water --hose it all down and than open doors and windows for cross ventilation-dry it out well and start all over again-none of my birds have ever come down with anything --the idea is to have healthy birds--the only problem I have is their yard--when it rains --yuck so have gone to moving yard around and at times putting cut timothy down --I also keep 2 plastic sleds filled with clean water outside=and a pool for the peking ducks and my toulous geese-AND GET THIS THE RED SLED THEY do not swim ,POOP OR ANY OF THOSE THINGS-THEY DRINK FROM IT ONLY this includes the 5 turkeys I have--now the other sled is a disaster
their food[all Flock and cracked corn] is just outside their shed-I go to the grocery store every 3 days and get greens from the produce department-which they are happy to get rid of-from spinach to lettuce,to you name it--many times they will get a fruit salad-included with the regular greens --what a hoot ---I have talked to other raisers of birds-that hay is good--BUT it must be used lightly as well as cleaned up right away as it holds moisture-and moisture creates mold and that will cause lung problems ---
just remember what ever you use it has to be cleaned --and train them--no water,no food in shed when locked up for evening--much cleaner--and they also like it--as its cleaner--hope this helps

Does everyone agree they dont need water in coop at night? That would sure help.
Mine are just about to come into laying age. We have very large natural pond and Im afraid they will lay in the water as the 10 of them almost never separate from each other. Im wondering how long to keep them in...

I did the no water at night thing. Then it got excessively hot, and I just felt it was cruel to not offer water. Soon I will be switching back to my heated bucket, which must stay in a certain spot for electric. So water they have.

I use straw in the houses, the pen is bare dirt. It used to be pea gravel, that is gone now.

I bought chicken waterer nipples online. Plug one into the cap of a 2-liter bottle and hang it upside down. They get water, but not enough to make a mess. Honestly they don't use it most of the time. Unless it gets hot. Then I change out the bottle every couple of days.

I am thinking of going with a big piece of astroturf for my duck house, at least for the warm weather.  Then I can hose it off every day and let it dry in the sun.  Cheaper in the long run than shavings, hay or straw.  All of which are fetching a premium price here in spendy Vermont.

Did you ever try it? If so how did it go?

Back
Top Bottom