It does depend on how many ducklings and how old they are, but once they're over 2 weeks old I'm changing bedding twice a day for 2-3 ducklings.
Yours are so cute. ❤️ I planned to start hatching again in March but I don't think I can wait that long!
Thank you! I’m already pretty attached. I called TSC and they only have chicks and ducklings March-September/October. I finally found a local farm who had some newly hatched babies and as soon as they were ready, I hauled butt over there! I had Pekins before. One of them mysteriously disappeared and the other one was killed by something; he was my buddy and it broke my heart. Needless to say, I’m super happy!

Hey, everyone!

I have three Pekin ducklings and am currently using towels as bedding. Ya, I know, it’s awful lol. So, what I’d like to know is what is the best bedding options for my little ones? I know the clean up is going to be a lot regardless but I would like something that helps soak up their poop and pee and the mess they make in the water. They are about a week old, fyi.

I did manage to find an older post referring to the same thing and someone mentioned puppy pads and shavings. What are your thoughts/opinions? They’ll be inside with me for a while so convenience is definitely something I’m looking for. They do have outside area they can run around in once they get a bit older. They’re definitely not going to be strictly indoors. Could you imagine? 💩

Pictures for cuteness overload 😍
TIA!
Nothing wrong with towels! But thats way too much to keep cleaning long term!!
Puppy pads work great for the first week or two, but eventually mine figured out how to rip them open and tried eating them, so not the best.
Pine Shavings work amazing, super absorbant, and comfy for the little ones. I used and still use dust extracted, less dusty so they aren't breathing it in.

IMG_2627.jpeg
You can make something similar to this for drinking it really does help with water mess. I also went to the thrift store and found a broiler pan put puppy pee pad over it for their feet and placed the water container and feed bowl on it. I use puppy pee pads for the first 2 weeks then buy the thick pine shavings so they don't try and eat them. I put the pee pad down then shavings on top. makes for easy clean up. Your ducklings are adorable.

Nothing wrong with towels! But thats way too much to keep cleaning long term!!
Puppy pads work great for the first week or two, but eventually mine figured out how to rip them open and tried eating them, so not the best.
Pine Shavings work amazing, super absorbant, and comfy for the little ones. I used and still use dust extracted, less dusty so they aren't breathing it in.
Using towels is definitely a lot of upkeep! I went to the dollar store and almost purchased puppy pads but then thought of them potentially ripping them. I decided to get more cheap towels for now and will most likely get some shavings next!

Using towels is definitely a lot of upkeep! I went to the dollar store and almost purchased puppy pads but then thought of them potentially ripping them. I decided to get more cheap towels for now and will most likely get some shavings next!
Just know that even after my girls figured out how to rip open and eat the puppy pads, no harm came to them, just had to change it once I saw that. So if you can't get shavings for a bit, I'd try the puppy pads and just keep an eye on them. Certainly easier than towels! But there's nothing wrong with towels if that's what you feel safest with for now. It's all down to preference

Your ducklings are so adorable by the way

Just know that even after my girls figured out how to rip open and eat the puppy pads, no harm came to them, just had to change it once I saw that. So if you can't get shavings for a bit, I'd try the puppy pads and just keep an eye on them. Certainly easier than towels! But there's nothing wrong with towels if that's what you feel safest with for now. It's all down to preference

Your ducklings are so adorable by the way
I don’t mind towels but I do mind the laundry 😂 I stay home to focus on school so if I did get puppy pads, they wouldn’t be left unattended. I try not to hover but it’s hard not too!

Back
Top Bottom