Bedding for Nesting Boxes... Should I Double Up?

OpheliaChick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
CT
One of my Black Australorps, Georgette, just started laying this week.
big_smile.png
I put straw in my nesting boxes but I'm wondering if I should double up and use pine shavings as well as straw in the nesting boxes because two of Georgette's eggs were slightly cracked. The first thought that popped into my head when I saw the cracked eggs was that they were cracked because there wasn't enough bedding. Any thoughts?
hmm.png

You might try adding some pine shavings under the straw or buy a welcome mat, the kind that is plastic and looks like fake grass and cut it to fit your boxes. Put the squares of that under you straw. It will be easy to take out and hose off when you need to.

I cram my boxes plum full of hay and have never had a cracked egg *knock on wood*

I like that idea of using plastic grass under the pine shavings! That will make it so much easier to lift out the old bedding & clean the boxes. Good thinking:clap

I had this happen with one of my new layers...twice I had dented/cracked eggs. Another BYC'er suggested placing cardboard under my shavings in the nesting box. I've been doing this for a week now, and now more cracks! Easy to clean when it gets dirty (hasn't been a problem yet) - just throw away and replace with new cardboard! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom