Bedding for the Coop?

I was in a petstore yesterday, $25 for a bale of shavings. At the local feed store $4. Just be sure it is not cedar shavings as that will cause a permanent lung problem in chickens. Pine or hardwoods are fine.

If you find a lumber yard, all you can shovel for a box of doughnuts.

Straw is good just be sure it is not mouldy.

I agree that nothing's wrong with pine shavings... I don't know why anyone would say otherwise. In fact, in all of my chicken books, every single one goes into detail about bedding options and every single one recommends pine shavings as #1 over all else. So why would someone say it's the second worst choice?

I am using them and my indoor space is also 8'x10' and one bale costs less than $4.00 at the feed store and it covers the floor about 4 inches deep, which is REALLY deep. At this depth, the is no smell at all from my 15 chicks and I stir it once in a while to mix the poop in and that's it. I think it works like a charm and it quite affordable. I do suggest buying shavings at a feed store or other farm-supply-type place rather than petsmart, which will be much more expensive, I would think.

oh yes, and as BaronRenFew says... no cedar. The aromatic oils can cause some health issues. "White" or pine shavings are the way to go. Also, be careful with the hay/straw as it does get moldy and can be dangerous to their health.

Quote:
Thanks Lisa
smile.png
and everyone else for that matter. I just relaized that my Aunt is spending the weekend with me and the chicks are in the Guest Bedroom. I am not sure what I am going to do as my husband will not let her sleep in our bed and us on the couch. I think I might try putting them outside tonight and then finsih the coop Saturday and move them in for good. This weekend.

Thank you sooo much for all your help.

I have a LOT of loose grass hay available. I have been putting it in the chicks brooder pen and they seem to like it. I thought I would put it in the coop (plastic shed with plastic floor) fairly deep for the bedding. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom