1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bedding for the Run?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JacobMaxwell, Feb 28, 2013.

1. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Because of the cold weather, my chicken tractor has been completely frozen down for a while now. Now that I can't move them, I need some bedding or something for the run. I tried shavings but they just got sopping wet and cold. Any ideas?

2. Cyril04

Cyril04 New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    Kentucky
    What about a bale of straw? Good coverage and it will keep the chickens busy for a while......just a thought.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'd be worried about the straw molding if there's a chance its going to get wet, which it apparently is. Not to mention mites love to live in straw. What about sand? It will drain well which should help a little with freezing, especially if you rake it everyday.
    Nikki

4. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    My run has a sand area, a straw area and a dirt area. The girls spend more time in the straw area than the other areas. I also have a straw area in their big pen and they love to scratch and scatter it about. So far I have had no trouble with mold or mites. I have also used leaves in the area where the straw is and they really like the leaves as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by