Bedding: hay or pine shavings?

jmjanda0624

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2015
Hesperia, California
We just finished building our 2 chicks a coop.What kind of bedding is best to use? We're in California, but it's been a little cold at night (well, to us it has been lol). They're almost 6 weeks old. Thank you!

I'm in California as well (Central Valley) and pine shavings have been working well for our 6 week old chicks. That are out in their coop and I keep a brooder light going in one corner at night so they have heat if they want it.

I'm also in California, and just finished building my handful of chicks a coop as well. There are a lot of possibilities, right now I am using pine shavings for the coop floor. I have a bit left over from my brooder, and I've been taking them out to the run during the day for the last week. At bedtime, they would go back into the bucket, with the pine shavings. My thought was that they know pine shavings are found where they sleep, so until they are used to their new home I will try to lure them there with it.
Once I run out of that, I'll probably go with straw. That said, these pages are full of suggestions!
It's been super windy where I am, the chicks like to hunker down together when it gets blowing really hard.
What part of Cali are you in?
Edit: looked at your profile, we are neighbors! Oak Hills reporting in!

Last edited:
I'm also in California, and just finished building my handful of chicks a coop as well. There are a lot of possibilities, right now I am using pine shavings for the coop floor. I have a bit left over from my brooder, and I've been taking them out to the run during the day for the last week. At bedtime, they would go back into the bucket, with the pine shavings. My thought was that they know pine shavings are found where they sleep, so until they are used to their new home I will try to lure them there with it.
Once I run out of that, I'll probably go with straw. That said, these pages are full of suggestions!
It's been super windy where I am, the chicks like to hunker down together when it gets blowing really hard.
What part of Cali are you in?
Edit: looked at your profile, we are neighbors! Oak Hills reporting in!

Yay, a neighbor! We live very close to Oak Hills. Glad you know about the crazy weather we're having lately lol

Thank you all! Would I need to have a light on for them at night as well, or are they okay without one?

I'm giving them the option right now but I really think they would be ok without the light unless we have a cold snap now. I figure they can go to one of the other 3 corners of the coop if it gets too warm under the light.

I'm in California, too! End of the Central Valley in Bakersfield. I started out with shavings, but found them very dusty. I just switched to pine flakes & I'm already noticing a lot less dust. They are the same price as the shavings, I got them at Tractor Supply for $5 bucks each. I'm really liking them. I put oat hay in the run, but just for them to eat. I take it up every couple of days. The dirt seems easier to keep clean. I just use a rake & small bucket.

Another Californian (near Glennville) chiming in here... :)
My regime is DE first, straw second, pine shavings on top. Every morning the area under the roosting bars gets top cleaned, and monthly i replace everything.

Back
Top Bottom