switch from pine shavings to pine pellet bedding?

Thank you! I took a look at her coop setup and pretty sure she mentions they had some linoleum down on the floor of the coop, that would work good with those pellets if they puffed up after absorbing wetness. Our coop floor is wood, so that probably isn’t a good option inside if they happen to get a bit mushy.
We’re going to redo the coop bedding with pine shavings and save the pellets for the run if we get muddy spots or puddles :D

chickenmomma1108 - Elizabeth
That sounds like a good idea. I understand what you’re saying about the wood floor issue. I have linoleum down in my Serama building and use shavings. My other buildings are just wood floor and shavings. I have considered the pellet bedding though. Some people really like using it. I like your idea for pellets in the puddles.

Elizabeth this is Helen in SW Neb. I'm so glad that weather is gone too!! What a mess frozen everything.
I only use shavings as deep bedding. I installed poop board/ trays and I love putting Sweet PDZ in them, or stall fresh. Makes poop scooping go fast.
I did start putting the bigger pine shavings in their run to help with mud. My run is roofed but the wind blew in so much snow! I love the fine or mini flakes for coop and nest boxes too. Then I use it on garden I spring clean out . I've never checked to see if pellets would be cheaper tho the shavings are always available in local area. I tried straw one NEVER AGAIN. Turned my run into a layer of brick! I just put in grass clippings, weeds, and wood shavings. It stays soft and digable that way

Elizabeth this is Helen in SW Neb. I'm so glad that weather is gone too!! What a mess frozen everything.
I only use shavings as deep bedding. I installed poop board/ trays and I love putting Sweet PDZ in them, or stall fresh. Makes poop scooping go fast.
I did start putting the bigger pine shavings in their run to help with mud. My run is roofed but the wind blew in so much snow! I love the fine or mini flakes for coop and nest boxes too. Then I use it on garden I spring clean out . I've never checked to see if pellets would be cheaper tho the shavings are always available in local area. I tried straw one NEVER AGAIN. Turned my run into a layer of brick! I just put in grass clippings, weeds, and wood shavings. It stays soft and digable that way
Oh my, the straw turning stuff into a layer of brick…that’s no good 😞
Thanks for sharing about your coop & run! Things are slowly enough melting around here & cleaning their coop out was necessary after they had been inside for the worst of it. Will keep in mind to use our grass clippings and leaves in the run (gave them some leaves last fall)..they are such good diggers & mostly curious flock 😁.

I probably wouldn’t use them if it’s so cold in your area and the chickens can’t get outside. I have them in my coop personally but we are in the south and we don’t have issues like snow. I have just switched to flakes and pellets in my coop a couple weeks ago. It smells better and stays cleaner. That being said they are hard under feet I think, but they cut down greatly on maintenance and smell. The poops just sit on top of the pellets and get kind of dried out. I stir them up and the dust coats the chops and they disappear into the litter. I have 3-4 bags in a 32 sq ft coop for my 12 birds. I have half a bag for adding to the top and a bag of flakes to keep some softer surface area mixed in. I switched to cut down on how often I clean my coop which had been multiple times a week. I added a closer look at the pellets. They don’t really get mushy with the chickens in the coop because there isn’t enough moisture in their droppings to be that bad. The only time I had them puff up was on a cold day I put their water in with them and they knocked it over. The moisture still didn’t make it to the wood floor and I just stirred it up into the rest of the coop bedding.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpeg
    IMG_0120.jpeg
    918 KB · Views: 7
I probably wouldn’t use them if it’s so cold in your area and the chickens can’t get outside. I have them in my coop personally but we are in the south and we don’t have issues like snow. I have just switched to flakes and pellets in my coop a couple weeks ago. It smells better and stays cleaner. That being said they are hard under feet I think, but they cut down greatly on maintenance and smell. The poops just sit on top of the pellets and get kind of dried out. I stir them up and the dust coats the chops and they disappear into the litter. I have 3-4 bags in a 32 sq ft coop for my 12 birds. I have half a bag for adding to the top and a bag of flakes to keep some softer surface area mixed in. I switched to cut down on how often I clean my coop which had been multiple times a week. I added a closer look at the pellets. They don’t really get mushy with the chickens in the coop because there isn’t enough moisture in their droppings to be that bad. The only time I had them puff up was on a cold day I put their water in with them and they knocked it over. The moisture still didn’t make it to the wood floor and I just stirred it up into the rest of the coop bedding.
That makes sense to do a combo with pine flakes to soften the bedding…was thinking of that initially (half pine shavings - half pellets) because one can never be sure if their chickens will react to new stuff like bedding well :) I figured with us getting a decent snow (and really cold) this year to save the bag of pine pellets for any rainy weather in spring & summer here in Nebraska, some winters can be quite mild & others super cold. Thanks for the pic of your bedding mix and letting me know the water spill didn’t get to your flooring :thumbsup

I’ll tag @Debbie292d. She uses pellet bedding and will be a good source of information about its use.
Sorry I missed the tag but since I was typing about horse bedding pellets I saw this thread.

Hi everyone,
We've gotten over a good dump of snow in Nebraska here the last 2 weeks and very cold temps (some days were -20 degrees F :eek: and very windy making the snow drift right back over places).
Reason for posting this discussion is I have been searching all over BYC forums for what everyone's thoughts are on the pine pellets (labeled for horse bedding)? Currently we use deep bedding in our coop of the fine pine shavings, but have read on a few posts here that one may have less issues (less dust, less turning or maintenance? of bedding, etc.) with the pellets.

What has been your experience been like using pine pellets as a deep bedding method? Do they last you/your chickens at least 6 months to a year before complete cleanout of coop and new bedding? Do you use any other bedding with the pellets or like the pellets as is? What happens with the chicken poop in the pellets - does it kind of get absorbed and turn to dust with the pellets? During the time you use pellets do you have to add some new pellet bag(s) to keep it topped off for deep bedding?
Our coop has a wood floor and the chickens have done fine with the pine shavings...it is just time for new bedding. We had them safe from frostbite in the coop with infrared heater, food, and water for the worst days and had to clear out I'd say half of their run of snow for them to be able to go outside. The weekend projects are: finish clearing snow from their run and new coop bedding.
We're trying to find something to be budget friendly (I do love the sound of hemp bedding, but can't afford that right now) and function as nicely as the pine shavings do. I am reading that if they get damp they kind of break down into pine sawdust, so am hoping that our chickens won't mistake them for food 😁 but I always have someone that taste tests stuff anyways. Especially if I have something in my hands, it has GOT to be FOOD :lau

chickenmomma1108 - Elizabeth
Sorry I'm late. I just noticed @WoDia's tag. ❤️

Yes, we've used them in the coop since we started 7 years ago. We put down about 3-4" in the spring, then do nothing until the next spring. Then we clean out what by now is mostly sawdust and powdered poop and put some in our garden, around trees/shrubs, and in the compost bins. There is no odor, no dust, no maintenance.

As of about 6 months ago, I started using them in the brooder after a week. Holey moley is that a game changer! Those I have to stir every few days as they can't scratch around like the big chickens do. I also provide grit as sure as I'm sitting here, they'll all probably try a little piece if they find one. It's 100% pine so won't hurt them and I've never lost a chick in about 60-80 or so that have been in this brooder so far.

These got switched to pellets yesterday.

2-2-24.jpeg

Sorry I missed the tag but since I was typing about horse bedding pellets I saw this thread.

Sorry I'm late. I just noticed @WoDia's tag. ❤️

Yes, we've used them in the coop since we started 7 years ago. We put down about 3-4" in the spring, then do nothing until the next spring. Then we clean out what by now is mostly sawdust and powdered poop and put some in our garden, around trees/shrubs, and in the compost bins. There is no odor, no dust, no maintenance.

As of about 6 months ago, I started using them in the brooder after a week. Holey moley is that a game changer! Those I have to stir every few days as they can't scratch around like the big chickens do. I also provide grit as sure as I'm sitting here, they'll all probably try a little piece if they find one. It's 100% pine so won't hurt them and I've never lost a chick in about 60-80 or so that have been in this brooder so far.

These got switched to pellets yesterday.

View attachment 3739806
Your chicks are so cute!
No problem with replying whenever it works for you - we get that life stuff is keeping people busy. To me, BYC is a place for chat & sit back, wait and enjoy the conversation. Unless it’s an emergency & it seems then everyone pitches in no matter the time!
The pellets may be an option for puddles in our chicken run come spring or summer, but will keep these in mind for chicks since they sound like they are pretty great with no poo smell! lol, chicks & chickens remind me of dogs in a sense they taste things :gigyup, I have included chick grit for both our chick batches..they sure are smart & grow up so fast!

Back
Top Bottom