Bedding in my coop

ponygirly306

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
I currently have straw/hay in my coop and it is so labour intensive to clean it out all the time and i go through a lot of it, another problem is that i'm in australia and with the drought and all the price of hay and straw is sky rocketting!

So I am considering using sawdust so i can easily scoop up the poo. I need some Advice on this from peoiple that use sawdust and what kind to use cause i know there is some that you shouldn't use..
idunno.gif

thatnks! much appreciated.

wee.gif

Here in the U.S. we mostly use Pine Shavings, and Cedar shavings or aromatic wood shavings I have heard are a No No....so I imagine it would not be good to use any sawdust from Aromatic trees over there.

I'm not certain if thats the kind of sawdust you're talking about, pine shavings are pretty big, I assume its the same thing?

Tina/tfpets

Hi - we just went thru the same thing here.We used to use hay but with the price of it and all the rain we've been getting lately it was expensive,muddy,and smelling so we switched to pine shaving that are used for horses. We've been using them now for 3wks and they seem to be better in all ways and even last longer than the hay.They are even good with my ducks which we were afraid would eat them and choke.Good Luck in your decion

I know that pine and cedar shavings cause a lot of problems in other animals (e.g. bunnies, reptiles, etc.). They can cause impaction also. May I suggest a paper based substrate (call "Yesterday's News"). You most likely can find a generic version at a Walmart or another large bargin store chain, just do not use it in a wet area. This stuff is clean, pretty cheaply priced and carries no chemicals that would cause a toxic effect. This might be worth a try. We use this for our bunny.

I hope this helps----Dale

Last edited:
thanks for the idea but i sort of want to stay away from paper, is the best saw dust / shaving to use pine? or is rthere another type, and with using shavings / dust do i need to give my chickens grit?

This is my first time trying to raise chickens. I live a mile from a place that can supply pine sawdust (untreated). I was using dried grass from mowing and now I sprinkle the sawdust on top every morning. It has only been four days since I started using it but they seem to like bathing in the dust.

I wonder why you don't try sand? Surely there is a lot of that in Australia?
smile.png

It's very scoopable, stays dry, pleasant to look at, and allows the chickens to scratch around and dust-bathe.

Back
Top Bottom