Bedding in run

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
So, I know that I've asked similar questions before, BUT: If I were to put hardware cloth underneath the whole run, how much bedding would I need on top of it? I know that usually a hc apron will be just fine for predator protection, but other family members are being paranoid, which is good, I guess? I am planning to lay down some mulch to start off a semi deep litter run. I will have a sand/dirt dust bath for them as well. How many inches of mulch do I need to make sure that none of my girls damage their feet?

So, I know that I've asked similar questions before, BUT: If I were to put hardware cloth underneath the whole run, how much bedding would I need on top of it? I know that usually a hc apron will be just fine for predator protection, but other family members are being paranoid, which is good, I guess? I am planning to lay down some mulch to start off a semi deep litter run. I will have a sand/dirt dust bath for them as well. How many inches of mulch do I need to make sure that none of my girls damage their feet?
My chickens have dug down through the wood chips and soil about a foot in spots. So go down over a foot.
I use a predator apron. It works just fine, is a lot less expensive and a whole lot less labor intensive than excavating the entire run floor. And my birds have zero risk of injuring their feet while digging.

My chickens have dug down through the wood chips and soil about a foot in spots. So go down over a foot.
I use a predator apron. It works just fine, is a lot less expensive and a whole lot less labor intensive than excavating the entire run floor. And my birds have zero risk of injuring their feet while digging.
Ok, over a foot. Got it, will do. I know, an 2 foot apron attached to the bottom of the run should be fine. However, other people in my house would like to do otherwise. Not sure if they want a full foot of bedding in the run tho......maybe that will change their minds? Maybe I'll compromise with them....dig a trench and bury some hardware cloth as well. I'd like to see the predator that can dig from 2 feet back and under 3 feet of hc in one night

Ok, over a foot. Got it, will do. I know, an 2 foot apron attached to the bottom of the run should be fine. However, other people in my house would like to do otherwise. Not sure if they want a full foot of bedding in the run tho......maybe that will change their minds? Maybe I'll compromise with them....dig a trench and bury some hardware cloth as well. I'd like to see the predator that can dig from 2 feet back and under 3 feet of hc in one night

That's always what I keep in mind, if its 18 hour predator proof we should be good.....we are constantly checking on them and if we are gone we have cameras that we frequently check in on plus both of our neighbors are inlaws that check up if we are gone so if something is amiss we will know before they break through.

I was going to suggest digging a trench and burying the hardware cloth. We rented a trench digger for like $40 from Home Depot and had the entire thing dug in about an hour. We buried ours 18 inches deep
I think I'll end up doing that, so that my chickens have safe feet and we have peace of mind. I'd probably dig the trench myself, but hey, anything for chickens

Back
Top Bottom