Bedding in the duck run?

Gigglebox

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
Do you use bedding in your duck run (NOT the house, which should have bedding, but the outdoor fenced run)? If so, how often do you you clean the run?

Wait...I'm confused, you said you don't use bedding in the run but you clean it every few days....?

Whoops, responded in the wrong thread!

But to comment...how do you remove the poop?

Last edited:
I use chopped straw, leaves and such and generally pull out the nicely composted material once or twice a year. I add fresh carbon material as needed - more in the summer. It varies from once every month to once a week, depending on rainfall and heat. Around the swim pans, where I have smooth pea gravel and sand, I'd say three times a year I clean that up - shovel off the top couple of inches and replace it with fresh.

Stocking rate - I have 13 4-pound ducks in a 10x16 Day Pen.

Last edited:
I use chopped straw, leaves and such and generally pull out the nicely composted material once or twice a year. I add fresh carbon material as needed - more in the summer. It varies from once every month to once a week, depending on rainfall and heat. Around the swim pans, where I have smooth pea gravel and sand, I'd say three times a year I clean that up - shovel off the top couple of inches and replace it with fresh.

Stocking rate - I have 13 4-pound ducks in a 10x16 Day Pen.

Ditto, except I sprinkle a bit of straw over the poop everyday -- and I use the same method with chickens and goats. It has worked great for me so far, and the added bonus I am noticing with the ducks is that the bedding is pretty warm, so they can snuggle in and be warm with it is chilly at night without going indoors.

Great, thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Localife, i believe that is because it is composting underneath, which produces heat. I've heard "pro" duck keepers recommend cleaning slightly less in the winter to encourage more composting, thus creating a bit of heat in the duck house. Pretty neat!

Yep, the decomposition process creates heat, just like in a compost pile, and the animals LOVE it when it's chilly. I use this method with all of my animals. The chickens and ducks especially love it because worms and other bugs like to burrow in there too, and they make great snacks! Since my goats aren't so interested in bugs, and also don't stir things up much, I like to let the chickens in their pen from time to time to have a party -- then put down a fresh layer of straw. I clean it all out after the spring rains, and again in the fall in time for a nice layer to build up before winter.

Back
Top Bottom