Bedding in thge coops

I love sand! I mix sand and stall dry and use that. Scoop it with a cat litter scoop, quick and easy. I have a small coop and only 5 chickens though. Since it is a little colder I've been topping the sand/stall dry with straw for a little added warmth. I would never go back to shavings after using sand! It's cheaper, easier to clean, and there is so little waste!

Quote:
Cheaper, depending on where you live. In order to get enough sand to use in both my coops I'd have to get at least a half dumptruck load, if not more. Sand is not readily available around here. If I lived in Florida it would make sense but not in a landlocked state.

Quote:
It's the moisture that makes it stink. Fix your leaks and I'll bet you'd like pine shavings alot better.
wink.png

I'm going to try to get that accomplished this weekend (we monday and tuesday is my weekend) Monday very busy day, doctor appt. Birds being NPIP tested. Oh yeah than there's the shorter day thing. Oh how I wish I would have foreseen the water thing.
he.gif
he.gif
th.gif

Quote:
Cheaper, depending on where you live. In order to get enough sand to use in both my coops I'd have to get at least a half dumptruck load, if not more. Sand is not readily available around here. If I lived in Florida it would make sense but not in a landlocked state.

Never even thought of that!

One thing is, there is very little waste, the sand coats the poop and you scoop out the poop. So you are not having to replace it much.

okay we just figured out how much sand it would take to put down in our coop which is 64 sq ft. OMGosh
ep.gif
at 4 inches it will take a ton. So we looked up prices and it would be 50 bags the cheapest was 3.68$ a bag, again
ep.gif
So I had a bright idea, I called the feed store and they deliver it by the ton for, get this 28$ a ton
clap.gif
so cheap we bought 2 tons will be delivered tomorrow.
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

I hope this will help with the water problem I am experiencing. I will try to put down 6 inches. So question, if I had water leaking under it, because I was stupid and put the coop where I did, Would that be enough to wick it away?
Michele

Back
Top Bottom