Bedding/Litter Recommendations for Humidity

Kisyen

Hatching
May 22, 2023
Hi there, I'm starting my research on my first coop! I've been searching the forums/online but couldn't quite find the answer to my question.
I live in hot & humid Florida, and the humidity can become out of control – today it's almost at 90%.
We also get sporadic rain and thunderstorms, especially in the summer. Simply put, it's extremely DAMP here.

With this in mind, does anyone have recommendations for coop bedding/litter as well as materials for the run?
My initial thought was all sand, but then I heard that this requires daily upkeep. I'm interested in the deep litter method with hemp in the coop and sand in the run, but again, I don't want the deep litter contributing to the humidity.

I also heard mulch in the run helps keep things smelling good, but I'm not sure how that would hold up with our constant humidity.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I would not recommend using mulch as chickens can cut their feet on it, get splinters, and then have a higher chance of bumblefoot and have other troubles walking. What about wood shavings or straw?

I don't want the deep litter contributing to the humidity.
Then best to use pine shavings to keep things dry, just hemp might work too.

I also heard mulch in the run helps keep things smelling good, but I'm not sure how that would hold up with our constant humidity.
What mulch(or best is coarse wood chippings from a tree trimmer) does is helps decompose the poops. Works fine even when exposed to rain.

I would not recommend using mulch as chickens can cut their feet on it, get splinters, and then have a higher chance of bumblefoot and have other troubles walking.
Sorry, but this^^^ is Nonsense.
I have used coarse wood chippings for 10 years and had no walking or foot injuries.

I live in hot & humid Florida
Welcome to BYC! @Kisyen
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1685107004479.png

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana. Glad you joined.

What does your coop look like? Size is always interesting and can help but mainly I'm interested in whether it is a small elevated coop, a nice walk-in on ground level, dirt floor or wooden floor, things like that. And how many chickens? What are you working with as it makes a difference? Photos are often helpful.

Ventilation can handle your humidity issues, especially in warm Florida. How dry does the inside of your coop stay? Many people in warmer climates have open air coops which may let rain in. Some people have coops that stay bone dry as far as rain goes. You should approach those differently. Water and how wet it gets is going to be your issue.

How well does your run drain when it rains? If water drains to your run and stands you can have real challenges. If water drains away from your run or it is sand that drains well it is a lot easier. I consider drainage very important.

I could tell you what I did but I don't know if it is at all applicable to your situation. I could try to go through "if you have this then do that" but I'd need to cover many different possibilities. So what are you working with?

Back
Top Bottom