Bedding/Nesting Material Storage Ideas

SmithsCoop41

Chirping
Sep 29, 2023
Hey y'all!

It's me again 😂 Hope everyone is having a good morning. Well, I have some questions regarding bedding/nesting material storage for my coop. Okay first things first: We started our chicken coop back in February of this year. The base foundation of my chicken coop is dirt, BUT....Since February, there has been multiple layers upon layers of different materials put down on the coop floor on top of the dirt. So, the "deep litter" method has been established. Some material I have put done has been straw, sand, etc, before finally deciding on using the pine bedding as the layer on top. It seems to work better for my coop, and I realize that the "deep litter" method that I have established since February, may be the main reason for the pine bedding success. I keep hay in the nesting boxes only, and as I said, recently I put pine chip bedding on the whole entire coop floor, including the floor under the nesting area. My question is: What are the best ways of storing these materials until they are needed? I have been putting the hay and pine bedding under our carport, but when it rains, some of the hay gets damp, as our carport is open at the bottom, not because it's unfinished, but it's just that kind. I know that's not good that it gets damp because it can cause mold and mildew, which is a no-no inside a chicken coop, and I have stored it on my front porch before, but I don't like the mess it creates there neither. I don't have the hay inside any kind of container or anything, I just have it setting on the concrete foundation of my carport, so it gets everywhere and makes a mess, even worse when the kittens decide they want to sleep or play in it. 🤦‍♀️ I was thinking of maybe getting one of those big, tall, plastic trash cans that have a good-sealing lid that has the wheels on the back part of the can???? What are y'all's thoughts or input on this? Anyone ever tried that? I am wondering whether or not, even with it sealed, will it still have enough moisture or create moisture to where it creates the mold/mildew anyway?, Especially in the summer/hot months....would putting it in the shade be enough where it wouldn't have/create moisture? I do have a small little shelter in the back fenced in area where we keep our dog, Haus, and it's not very big at all, but maybe big enough to maybe connect it to a part of the outside of the coop as sort of a lean-to type thing. It was used originally as a little shelter where the previous home owner put a feeder for the deer so they could watch them. All it is now, is just a small shelter. Probably about the width of two hay bales side by side, and maybe two hay bales end to end long. It's not very big at all, but it's not being used really for anything, except maybe the dog to lay under, but he has a dog house, so I was thinking of re-purposing it for maybe something to store my hay under? If that would work? Not sure, as the mildew/mold issue comes to mind. I could get my husband I guess to close in the bottom of it, and makes some sort of door at the top to shut out the elements? idk, let me know y'alls thoughts on this issue, because I've got to come up with something better than how it's being stored currently. I want it to be where no elements and especially no spiders/bugs are able to get into it. Also, I live in Southern Georgia, and it gets pretty hot and HUMID in the summer months, and we get PLENTY of bugs! 😂 Bugs, which I don't mind if we didn't have....especially those pesky little mosquitoes! 😫

Also, if any of you read my previous post concerning having the bantams in the coop with the rest of the flock, everything seems to be fine. They have their little "tussles" (between the bantams more or less) every now and then, but nothing really serious. Thank you everyone for the feedback and advice!

Sincerely,

Your Fellow Fluffy Butt Flock Moma

I made my coop elevated so I could fit a storage area underneath and hide their feed bags and shavings for the nest boxes, everything out of sight.
Previous owners used several galvanized metal trash cans as storage for the old coop, but they weren't my favorite to look at and I found out the lid's handle connection leaked and got everything wet inside and rotted some feed; also the bottoms will rot out if not elevated ground contact....and then if elevated critters want to live underneath since it's close to the chickens.
My main source of bedding in the run is arborist wood chips and I always have a big pile of those on the property for chickens and for gardening.

I made my coop elevated so I could fit a storage area underneath and hide their feed bags and shavings for the nest boxes, everything out of sight.
Previous owners used several galvanized metal trash cans as storage for the old coop, but they weren't my favorite to look at and I found out the lid's handle connection leaked and got everything wet inside and rotted some feed; also the bottoms will rot out if not elevated ground contact....and then if elevated critters want to live underneath since it's close to the chickens.
My main source of bedding in the run is arborist wood chips and I always have a big pile of those on the property for chickens and for gardening.
Oh cool! See, that would be a type of storage I would like because I like everything nice and neat, and I know a chicken coop isn't gonna be nice and neat always, but at least keep as clean as possible LOL Do you have a picture of your storage set-up?

IMG_1058.jpeg

If the hay is baled, it can be kept outside in many climates without mold or mildew issues if it is stacked cut side down on top of skids or poles or beams. Put the stack in a well drained area. The side opposite the cut side will shed rain fairly well. The skids will keep the cut side from wicking up water. Wooden skids are best unless you live in a climate where wood won't last (in that case, use something else to keep it off the ground... or maybe it doesn't work well in such a climate - I don't know that part). You can put the skids on top of cement blocks if you want them to last longer.

If you have multiple bales, stack high rather than wide but leave it wide enough to not tip over. Only the top layer of bales needs to be cut side down, it is best to put cut sides of the lower tiers toward the center but that part is less important than a tight stack, and slanting the top - it doesn't need much slant. It is better if the middle of the top is a little higher than the edges. There is some waste as the outer few inches weather (for feed value and ascetics; it doesn't matter for bedding) . The bigger the stack, the smaller the percent of feed value lost.

Actually, loose hay can be kept outside too but it takes quite a bit of skill to build the stack so it will shed the rain. I've read and heard descriptions and seen some video of people doing it but never tried it myself.

The wood chips benefit from being weathered.

Edit for typo, and clarified a bit

Oh, and I store mine (long, fine grass from the edges of the lawn) loose in a "book box" size box left over from the last time we moved. It is in the storage end of the shed. So far they haven't needed it replaced (3-5 hens over two years), I add a handful now and then - maybe once a month. I put a LOT in to start with, though. About six inches, I think. They rearranged it to about 2 inches in the bottom of the hollow and five or six on the edges. It was fun to watch them, they tucked each piece individually and made the sides quite dense and soft.

Last edited:
I have a closed garage so most chicken stuff goes in there.

But my main bedding simply sits out:
_1030532.JPG
Same way my run bedding is stored.

I too am able to store stuff inside the coop shed(coop is only 6' of a 16x16 shed).
Made a 'bale bag' out of a couple feed bags to keep the straw for nest bedding from going all over.
full

Back
Top Bottom