bedding on cedar shavings?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HillCountryMomma, May 17, 2008.

1. HillCountryMomma

HillCountryMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    What do y'all think about bedding chickens on cedar shavings? We live real close to a cedar mill and can get shavings very cheap. They real nice fluffy shavings.

I know about the oils in cedar, potential problems for small animals (we won't use it for our guniea pigs, hamster or rabbit). But do you think it'd be a problem for the short amount of time broiler chickens would be on it?

My Rangers are about 3 1/2 weeks old. I'm building another tractor and hoping I can put them out in the tractor in a couple weeks. Would like to use cedar (odor/bug control and it's cheap!) bedding until I get them in the tractor, but won't if it'll hurt 'em.

Liz

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Cedar is a big NO NO with chickens..gives them breathing problems....

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Tuffoldhen is correct. Cedar shavings will cause them to go down hill quick and often they don't recover.

4. HillCountryMomma

HillCountryMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Thanks y'all. I wasn't sure if chickens shared the same susceptibility as other animals to cedar. That's such a bummer too, because I bet the aromatic nature of cedar would help take a bite out of the meat bird stink! I have them in a big 10x18 coop, and they are still smelly little boogers.

Guess it's pine shavings for the meat balls. Then GRASS and open air!!

Gotta build that big tractor... still have my 16 replacement pullets (and two 'oops' roosters) in my little tractor. Have a broody sitting on a clutch due to hatch in 4 days (layers) and I'm not sure where they are gonna go. Have another broody sitting on a mixed batch of Rio Grande turkey eggs and Americauna eggs.... have 21 days till those hatch out (turks are on day 8, just slipped in the chicken eggs).

Birds, birds and more BIRDS!!!

Liz

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I don't reccomend cedar. But, I live right next to a cedar shingle mill and use cedar shavings all the time. I haven't noticed any birds dropping dead, and I've always used it in my brooder. If you want to eliminate all possible risks to your birds, use pine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by