Bedding question

kodiman1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Ok, so I am getting a little better, thanks for all the previous help. I now have five chicks that I have taken out of the bator. I have them in an aquarium that has blankets on the floor. These little guys poo more than any animal I have ever seen (how could they possibly have that much in them). Back to the point, I am changing the blankets every day, and running out of blankets. Any other suggestions as to bedding for them till I can move them outside. I have read that shavings are not good for the little ones so I am not sure what else to try. Thanks

I used pine shavings(and still do now in the coop). most farm supply stores sell them in bulk for just a few bucks, worked great for us!

oh, and a sidenote on woodchips, avoid cedar, pine is best.

Put a few layers of paper towels over an inch or two of Aspen or Pine shavings. You can remove a layer of the paper towels as needed. Be sure there is enough ventilation on top of brooder. After one or two days --once they know where the food is and are eating well--remove the paper towels. Normally about 2 days and they'll be fine! Then you can scoop dirty poo and add some fresh shavings when needed to replace--viola!
frow.gif

Quote:
Do you know what the reasoning is to avoid Cedar? I heard it repels lice and leg mites. And I have also heard a lot of people saying to avoid it but no reason as to why.

I use pine shaving covered with paper towels till they know the differents between their feed and the chips. Use several layers and remove the top ones when dirty. DO NNOT USE CEDER CHIPS THE ARE POISION TO CHICKS!!!! Good luck

Quote:
Do you know what the reasoning is to avoid Cedar? I heard it repels lice and leg mites. And I have also heard a lot of people saying to avoid it but no reason as to why.

Cedar is very bad for the chickens to breath

The cedar oil in the chips irritates their lungs, making them more susceptible to respiratory illnesses. The same thing goes for pet mice, rats, etc.

Back
Top Bottom