Bedding scratching

Sookie2020

Chirping
Aug 15, 2021
I have to put fresh bedding in my chickens nesting box everyday. They are scratching it all out almost as soon as I refill it. Is there a reason, or is this just my chickens doing normal chicken stuff? I know they are pretty cold weather hardy, but I still want them to have a warm bed during the cold nights.

I have to put fresh bedding in my chickens nesting box everyday. They are scratching it all out almost as soon as I refill it. Is there a reason, or is this just my chickens doing normal chicken stuff? I know they are pretty cold weather hardy, but I still want them to have a warm bed during the cold nights.
The chickens shouldn't be sleeping in the nest boxes at night. They should sleep in the roosts.
Do you have a lip on the nest boxes?
Can you please post pictures?

I still want them to have a warm bed during the cold nights.
I have no idea where you are so I don't know what you consider cold. I've had chickens sleep on roosts with the temperature well below 0 F (-18 C) . There is no bedding on those roosts. These were chickens fully feathered out, over six weeks old, so how old are they?

Photos of your nest could help but they are probably telling you that you need to raise the lip on the nest.

There is a roost they sleep on, mostly. The nesting boxes have a small lip, but I would say not over an inch. This particular hen is a new layer. She's around 9 months, and has been laying for about 2 to 3 months. She only lays when the bedding has been scratched out. I am unable to get pictures at the moment (not home).

Back
Top Bottom